Saw for puzzles

orangeman

Hey Brian, I know you have been using a DeWalt 788 to cut your puzzles. Most 788's have a small amount of back to front movement that should still give you a 90° cut as long as you have good tension and yout table is at a perfect 90° to the blade. The quality control of the 788 has not been very good lately and some saws have way to much front to back movement than is acceptable. In fact in the class I taught this past weekend, they brought in a brand new saw off the floor that was over 1/16" off. We had a hard time controlling turns on this saw. So, if you buy another 788, check the blade travel before you take it home.

a small amount of front to back movement is desirable as it makes for a more agresive cut. The Excalibur saws have less front to back movement, so the cut is less aggressive than the DeWalt 788. There is an adjustment on the EX saws but not on the DeWalt saws. But the adjustment on the EX saws is tedious and cumbersome.

The new RBI saws by Buston have an easy adjustment on the blade clamps to adjust this movement. You can adjust from 0 movement for less agresive cuts to to a large degree of movement for a more aggressive cut.

So, you have to decide what you want, a more accurate cut or a more aggressive cut.

I would like opinions on whether the Excalibur-21 would be a good choice for cutting puzzles from 3/4" hardwoods.

I need an accurate 90 degree angle between blade and table and a lot of blade tension so the blade doesn't bend when cutting the puzzle keys.

Input would be appreciated. Thanks.

I only made puzzles with Chinese saws and craftsmen saws .it's impervious to have the blade a true 90 degree,check often as my leaning on the table changes things while cutting.thin woods a puzzle blade is find but the thicker you go the high blade # you'll need to make assembly easyer

Thanks dgman!!!!

I am so sick and tired of hearing about FD blades I could puke. Except for their puzzle blade which I use on 1/4" Baltic Birch.

There are superior blades for cutting puzzles from 3/4" hardwoods, namely the Pegas Modified Geometry blades.

I had an RBI Hawk, before Bushton, and had to send it back because of excessive vibration which they could not solve. Maybe the new Hawk's are better but I will never buy another saw and have it shipped. Also bought a HEgner that way and I think it got whacked in shipping and it is most difficult to tune to get the 90 degrees absolutely required for puzzles.

And I agree with you on the quality deterioration on the DeWalt 788's! That was why I was asking about the Excalibur for my next saw.

When I am ready to buy the Ex, I will go to Woodcraft with patterns, wood, and blades in hand and give it a whirl.

Thanks again for your response.

Yes Brian, an EX will cut 3/4" stock without a problem. I own one, And I cut 1" maple with it quite often. As for blade tension, it about as simple as could be, and it holds blades taught. Personally, I think that you would be quite pleased with an EX scrollsaw, there's not much better out there.

Len