Spiral blades - butchers tool or experts only?

RedOrZed

Hummm, so you are saying the portraits Mike Wix, Scrolling Steve, Charles Dearing, myself, etc. cut are not detailed?   Could have fooled me. :)  

Hey Scrapplie,

I just read my post again,  I don't see anywhere where I said anything about the portraits of Mike Wix, Scrolling Steve, or Charles Dearing cuts are not detailed......

Where did you read that???

My post stated my personal opinion..... And I stand by that.......I also stated that I hoped I didn't offend anyone.  But apparently it did..

Obviously spiral blades are not for everyone.  I have used them a time or two, and to be honest,  I felt like I was cheating myself.  I feel  It takes away all the knowledge and skills you learn from

cutting lines, tight turns, and control of the saw etc.   I also believe that people who never achieved  these techniques,  found the spiral blades more to their liking.

Again this is my opinion...

"spirals are for people who don't know how to use flat blades......

If you want a wide cut, lots of fuzzys, nothing that is truly detailed, than spirals are for you..."

That is what I saw.  I can use both, but do better with spirals.  I took no offense,  you are entitled.  Please do not think I did.  I am one of those that does not really care what others think.  No reason why I should.  Just keep scrolling, I admire your work.

I had dreams that spiral blades would be the greatest thing in the world.  i would cut fore, aft, side to side with ease and the cuts would look perfect and the work would be lauded far and wide as the best scroll saw work anyone had ever seen.

then i bought some spiral blades and reality set in.  they werent the same size as my other blades and needed a bigger hole.  they were hard to clamp in and generally were a hassle to use.

i still have 11 of my original dozen around here somewhere in my blade overflow section wherever that is.  i think its a drawer in the garage.

my go to's used the be some good old fd sr 2/0 but now i am into pegas jewelers blades 2/0 and 3/0 almost exclusively.  they have lots of teeth per inch but leave a mess on the backsides but for my work the back is glued down and never seen so i dont care.  i need the accuracy and small detail only a jewelers bit can provide. just my 2 cents.

i have seen some peolles work that use spiral and its fantastic so to each his own.

I use them if I have to. But if I do I make sure and use them on a practice piece first to get used to them again. They do take some getting used to. Make sure and practice first!

It's almost like throwing a ball with the wrong hand, I can do it but it takes a LOT of concentration and I have to go slow.

I am a flat blade guy too but recently I was doing a piece that just cried for a spiral so I held my breath grabbed the spiral and began to give it a try once again. This time I found it worked better than they had before. I found the faster my saw ran the better the spirals cut. As for detail, all I have to say about that is take a look at scrapiles posts or find some of Hans work. Things do not get much more detailed than theirs. Spiral blades are their blades of choice. One can learn to use about any type blade, if they take the time to try, but most of us find a blade that fits for us personally and once we do, we usually do not stray far away from it. That is why there are so many different blades to choose from no one blade is best for everyone. My take on it.

Dick

heppnerguy

"spirals are for people who don't know how to use flat blades......

If you want a wide cut, lots of fuzzys, nothing that is truly detailed, than spirals are for you..."

That is what I saw.  I can use both, but do better with spirals.  I took no offense,  you are entitled.  Please do not think I did.  I am one of those that does not really care what others think.  No reason why I should.  Just keep scrolling, I admire your work.

Good Morning Scrappile,

I do  believe I owe you and the SSV an apology.  Re-reading my posts,  I definitely chose a poor choice of words to voice my opinion.  ( I really can't believe I implied those statements. I am not the smartest person when it comes to expression of views). 

I think the world of SSV and its members.  The talent here is truly top shelf, by some of the best craftsman on the net. 

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas, and a blessed & Happy New Year.

Jamminjack

Jamminjack, I took it all in fun, that is why I added the smiley face to my first reply.  No need to apologize, at least not to me.  But thanks for offering.  I feel we are entitled to have opinions, and a right to express them.  One problem with forum posts is sometimes it is hard to know someone intents or meaning when you can't hear voice inflections or see facial expressions.  So I take it all with a grain of salt.  We are all good friends here.

An Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too, thank you.

Edited by Scrappile

None needed here either.  Nothing wrong with a good friendly discussion now and then.  It is difficult to know someone's intent over forum comments.  But, for someone to see my expression, I have to wipe the scroll dust off my face. 

And to all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year and may it be filled with lots of scrolling. 

Larry

they both have a place. ive thought about using A flat blade kn some of the portraits ive done, recently the tiger swallowtail butterfly, but with 500+ cuts thats 500+ times id have to turn the work 360 degrees and many of the cuts are juuuuust about 360, the back the other way, turn here, go up, turnturnturn...i find it much easier to use spirals in that situation.

blade control for me seems to be combined with saw speed and the pressure i apply.

but then theres other portraitwork requiring veining where a spiral is too wide.

Edited by tomsteve

I've enjoyed following this discussion.

I recall my first efforts with spiral blades - all I can say is they were little more than exercises in frustration.

But once past the learning curve they become a real joy to use - when you develop get the knack of handling them, understand the best place to use them, and which spiral to select then they turn into a valuable and comfortable tool - but like any tool there are tasks where they excel and others where they do not.

And no - you sure don't have to be an expert - but you should also recognize that every good butcher goes through a training phase .....

Thanks,

Jay

Edited by RangerJay

I also enjoyed reading this post and the personal choice of blades. That being said, Hi I'm Mike and I'm a spiral-holic. I've tried to change my ways but am hooked on them. I like not having to spin the work piece around and they work for the type scrolling I do. I do use flat blade when doing word projects, but am not nearly as handy with them. All I can say is use what you enjoy cutting with and enjoy each others work on this site  no matter the blade. Have  great Holiday season. Mike

The person that helped me get started only uses spiral blades. He gave me a few to get started. The blade I use 99% of the time are the FD new 3/0 spiral. They are very small. I don't have much of a problem with fuzzies or cutting detail. I can actually cut a straight line better with a spiral blade than with a flat blade.