Making Word Art for an office desk

jerry1939

In a few days I will quite sawing because of Iowa temperatures. Have made 2 Word Art patterns to be cut in the spring.

Two of our sons are senior engineers. For each of their desks, will use their full names for the large words, & company name(s) for the small word(s). Will have the painted backer sandwiched between two cut out pieces, as opposed to just on 1 side, which is normally done. The finished product will look the same on the front & back.

In the past, I used 2 pieces of solid 1/4" oak. 2 things I didn't like. I feel that the 1/4" cut piece is too thick, so will go with 1/8"

http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

Secondly, occasionally there would be a black line showing on the top & sides from the paint. After this, I will mask out the backer before painting.

Click on the instructions for how I plan to do this. Hopefully it will give some of you a new idea, or product to sell.

Critiques & suggestions most welcome!

jerry

Word Art for a desk.doc

In a few days I will quite sawing because of Iowa temperatures. Have made 2 Word Art patterns to be cut in the spring.

Two of our sons are senior engineers. For each of their desks, will use their full names for the large words, & company name(s) for the small word(s). Will have the painted backer sandwiched between two cut out pieces, as opposed to just on 1 side, which is normally done. The finished product will look the same on the front & back.

In the past, I used 2 pieces of solid 1/4" oak. 2 things I didn't like. I feel that the 1/4" cut piece is too thick, so will go with 1/8"

http://www.ocoochhardwoods.com/

Secondly, occasionally there would be a black line showing on the top & sides from the paint. After this, I will mask out the backer before painting.

Click on the instructions for how I plan to do this. Hopefully it will give some of you a new idea, or product to sell.

Critiques & suggestions most welcome!

jerry

Not sure i understand what your saying but i think your trying to show us a two sided name plaque ,same name on both sides?I like doing these so the customer and the employee can benefit seeing there name at the same time.

The village idiot has an error in the instructions.  THE ALIGNMENT MARKS CANNOT BE PLACED AT RANDOM LOCATIONS !!  This would cause the "back" word to be offset..

Before starting, take a straight edge & pencil/pen.  Extent the R. & L. sides of the Word pattern down to the edge of your paper. Use these two extended lines for your alignment locations.  You only need to cut in the marks in 1/16 or 1/8". 

This will center the "back" word when you cut the perimeter

My mistake.

jerry