Planer Question

browders

This may not be the correct forum for this topic, but here goes. I have a DeWalt DW735 planer. The blades are nicked and in need of sharpening. There is no one in my little town who can do this. Is there a place to send blades anyone would recommend. Also is there a sharpening system out there that anyone has used and might recommend? 

Thanks.

Jim

as for sharpening services, i personally found it wasnt that much more for a replacement set of blades. i have read great reviews of this place

http://nationaltoolservice.com/Sharpening%20Price%20List.html

probably be wise to call them and ask.

the 735 is an awesome planer,one i am seriously thinking of upgrading to. two upgrades ive read that make a bigmdifference are

a shelix head, which is a wee bit pricey

or

a set of replacement blades from infinity

http://www.infinitytools.com/DeWalt-DW734-DW735-Planer-Knives/products/1649/

as for a sharpening system, i built a jig from plans i found in shopnotes magazine. i cant recall what issue it was. i found it good at freshening upthe blades,but the disposable planer blades dont really have a lot of meat on them to give a full sharpen to.

have ya happened to flip the blades? if im not mistaken the 735 has double edge blades.

as for sharpening services, i personally found it wasnt that much more for a replacement set of blades. i have read great reviews of this place

http://nationaltoolservice.com/Sharpening%20Price%20List.html

probably be wise to call them and ask.

the 735 is an awesome planer,one i am seriously thinking of upgrading to. two upgrades ive read that make a bigmdifference are

a shelix head, which is a wee bit pricey

or

a set of replacement blades from infinity

http://www.infinitytools.com/DeWalt-DW734-DW735-Planer-Knives/products/1649/

as for a sharpening system, i built a jig from plans i found in shopnotes magazine. i cant recall what issue it was. i found it good at freshening upthe blades,but the disposable planer blades dont really have a lot of meat on them to give a full sharpen to.

have ya happened to flip the blades? if im not mistaken the 735 has double edge blades.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I did flip the blades. You'd think I'd learn to be more careful.

Jim

Now how much sanding extra would i take to sand a little nick on a board?I wouldn't worry about it my self as you have top sand anyway.$30.00 buys a lot of sand paper

This may not be the correct forum for this topic, but here goes. I have a DeWalt DW735 planer. The blades are nicked and in need of sharpening. There is no one in my little town who can do this. Is there a place to send blades anyone would recommend. Also is there a sharpening system out there that anyone has used and might recommend? 

Thanks.

Jim

Jim if you have the 3 knife planer the blades are $60 a set last i checked. I resharpened mine close to a 1/2 dozen times before i replaced them. If the nic is not to bad make a jig to hold them at a 45 degree angle and use a fine drum sander on your drill press. If it's real bad change the blades.

sully

With nicks all three blades will have the same nick in line.

I had a Dewalt planer years ago and can't remember if you can shift the blades a little but if you can so the nicks don't line up it will help.

If not maybe flip one back around to the other side so it mismatches.

I actually have a tool grinder/sharpener and do all my sharpening in house but I don't mess with those disposable blades,I just replace them.