wood grain is printed on?

LarryEA

Check out the grain pattern on these pictures.

See anything odd?

post-5492-0-90254300-1449624915_thumb.jpg

post-5492-0-62596100-1449624958_thumb.jpg

It's the grain!!!!!!!!! It is repeated... How do they do this?

Is it photographed on?

I bought some lauan today that has a repetative grain pattern on it.

Thought it quite attractive. Nice looking.

How do they 'photograph' the grain on the lauan?

Never saw it before. Then, I've never bought lauan before.

Edited by LarryEA

Never tried it on Lauan. But oak, maple etc, I try to get the light and angle to show the grain. Maybe a damp wipe will help high light it, I would suggest mineral spirits since water can effect it the wrong way. Interesting thought though, would like to see a pic if you get one.

Look at the pictures.... the pattern on the wood is repetitive... somehow someone does this.

With photography, laser, ???   

Larry,

If my memory is correct, and some times it is, the pattern you see is because of the way the ply is made.  They "shave" this strips from the log as the log turns.  each repeat of the train is the next layer as the piece is shaved from the rotating log.  In your mind, roll the strips into a roll  and the pattern will line up as the roll gets thicker.  The thinner the log gets the close the grain pattern repeats itself. 

They say a picture is worth a thousand words – if you understand the words.  This video makes a good picture of my explanation.

Larry

Edited by JustLarry

Thanks for posting that larry.

as a young man I worked in the plywood industriy.  I pulled 4x8 sheets of green veneer off of a chain belt, what a job.

as for printed veneer I did some that we put cheap luan veneer on top and run it through a roller press that ingraved or printed a grain pattern to it.

had many different rolls that printed pine board look and others.

as a young man I worked in the plywood industriy.  I pulled 4x8 sheets of green veneer off of a chain belt, what a job.

as for printed veneer I did some that we put cheap luan veneer on top and run it through a roller press that ingraved or printed a grain pattern to it.

Thank you for sharing a little of your story.

A little more education for me and this shows that I know only a speck about wood.

Very interesting!