Newbie Scrolled Question

DaMunchMan

First off hello to everyone here! I've been lurking and reading and it's so nice to find a place with so much knowledge and nice people willing to share their knowledge.

My question is something everyone asks. I've read reviews and posts all over the Internet and I'm still unsure of what to get. I'm looking for advice on aquiring a decent scroll saw.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Delta 20 in or the Dewalt 20 in at the moment. Is one better than the other? I am a complete scroller virgin and have never made saw dust yet but intend to make piles of it soon. I'll be doing all types of work and I'm especially interested in intarsia.

I'm open to other models of scroll saws also. I'd like to stay in the $200-$400 range. I really would prefer a quick or easy release blade as opposed to needing a tool. Something that is durable and works great with minimal vibration. Also maybe share a website or place to get the best deal on my purchase. I looked at craigslist but there's not a lot of choice in my area. I wish I could afford the Excaliber but that's beyond my budget and the Craftsman is affordable but seems high maintenance. Thank you all for your help and I look forward to sharing my creations with you.

P.S I heard of scroll saw projects and intarsia but what exactly is fretwork?

Welcome to the Village. The best deal I have seen on the Dewalt is at Amazon. If you keep a close eye on them they will put it on sale for a very short time. Still going to be a little over $400. Not sure about the other saw. I have a Dewalt and love it. Not sure how to explain fretwork so I attached a picture of a fretwork I did.

post-19404-0-97147200-1450206676_thumb.jpg

Hi New Friend,

I bought a new Delta this summer. A problem with Delta & Dewalt now is that they are made in a foreign country. Lots of complaints that they are shipped with only minimal grease in the bearings. Watched a video on greasing a Dewalt, took apart my brand new Delta and greased it according to this video.

The Delta & the Dewalt are identical inside. Only the exterior shape, color AND PRICE are different.

jerry

Welcome to the forum!

I use to have a DeWalt.  I bought it as a "refurbished" one for around $330.  I had no problems with it.  You can also pick up a good buy on Craigslist sometimes.  Just be sure to look it over good and try it before purchase, if you go that route.

If buying new, I have read good things about the Delta, it is a twin to the DeWalt, but a little cheaper. 

Edited by Scrappile

I have 2 Dewalt's I bought one new for $500 type 2  made in China have had a little problems with it  covered under warente  . The second I bought used for $150  it was refurbished type 1. I like the type 1 best It's easier to change blades and it runs smoother. The type 2 has a little vibrations at high speed which i very seldom use.I could cure that by using rubber under the mountings.

Amazon.com has the Delta on sale right now  http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Power-40-694-Variable-Scroll/dp/B00IK8DIU8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450211611&sr=8-1&keywords=delta+scroll+saw I have had one for several years and really like it. I would recommend the foot switch and stand also.

Welcome to the Village.

Don R

Thank you all for your input. I can't wait to get started. I'm sure I'll have more questions to come. I'm currently reading a few books to answer a few questions I have about different setups with blades and table tilt as well as other things called The New Scroll Saw Handbook by Patrick Spielman and got 2 other books Popular Mechanics: Scroll Saw Fundamentals The Complete Guide by Rick Peters and Scroll Saw For The First Time by Dirk Boelman. They give an insight into the differences between saws as well as different kinds of projects you can do. Seems like good reading for new scrollers.

i had the time of my life with el cheap-o saws and wore out plenty of them.Non lasted a year.After a dozen or so i finally traded for a dewalt.Got it home plugged it in and waited for it to start.Funny thing it was running you just couldn't hear it,amazing.I turned up the speed and the machine did not bounce around not being on a stand or bolted down.The top arm lifts way up so threading the blade in the wood is a very easy task.By all means if you can go for the dw788

First off hello to everyone here! I've been lurking and reading and it's so nice to find a place with so much knowledge and nice people willing to share their knowledge.

My question is something everyone asks. I've read reviews and posts all over the Internet and I'm still unsure of what to get. I'm looking for advice on aquiring a decent scroll saw.

I'm kind of leaning towards the Delta 20 in or the Dewalt 20 in at the moment. Is one better than the other? I am a complete scroller virgin and have never made saw dust yet but intend to make piles of it soon. I'll be doing all types of work and I'm especially interested in intarsia.

I'm open to other models of scroll saws also. I'd like to stay in the $200-$400 range. I really would prefer a quick or easy release blade as opposed to needing a tool. Something that is durable and works great with minimal vibration. Also maybe share a website or place to get the best deal on my purchase. I looked at craigslist but there's not a lot of choice in my area. I wish I could afford the Excaliber but that's beyond my budget and the Craftsman is affordable but seems high maintenance. Thank you all for your help and I look forward to sharing my creations with you.

I just bought one on Ebay for $365. It was new in the box. Had never been taken out of the box, but  was returned to the store because it 'had no table'. I purchased it because my other DeWalt 788 finally wore out after more than 10 years of steady long use. When I got the saw, and pulled it from the box, the top was in the bottom of the box. no one had taken the saw from the box so they never saw the table that is packed in it. Everything was still in it's original plastic covering. I saved a little on that saw.  I love th DeWalt because I have been using it for so long and I am very comfortable with it. I also have a RBI that I rarely use but the cost of that one is $1200 to $1400. I got this one at an estate sale and could not pass it up. I scored on that one for only $65, not a typo. It pays to look around some times.  Craigslist can change day to day. 

Dick

heppnerguy

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/hvo/5299991353.html

I found this one in Vegas.. worth checking out.. These are good saws...try it out  and make sure it has a non tool blade change, ( you can buy an adapter for them at $25 i think it is..

Dick

heppnerguy 

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/5336037772.html

Here is a good one too. I would ask on this one about the speeds. .It might be a 3 speed pulley driven, the first one is varible speed with a twist of a knob.. much more practical, in my oppinion

here is a DeWalt in Flagstaff, I don't know how far that is from Vegas but it looks like you could get it for under $200

http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/tls/5260346409.html

Edited by heppnerguy

Welcome to the village Jason.  It's a great place for patterns and advice.

I have the DW788 and am more than happy with it.  I would love to own an Excalibur, but is it really worth the extra $?

John, after having used both saws mentioned here, IMO the EX is definitely worth the extra $.

Len

Would the Craftsman 16" variable speed saw be ok to start out with or would I be better off spending the extra $200 or so on something better?

I used a Craftsman 16 inch for about 6or 7 years and had no problems with it. However after upgrading to the Delta I wouldn't go back.

Don R

I'm glad I ran across this thread. I was also wondering about getting a Delta or a Dewalt. From what I have read it looks like you cant go wrong with either. Once I'm able to get a pile of penny's saved up I think I will be ordering a Delta        40-695. For now the old craftsman 16" will have to do.