Rattle rattle on my 40-694

LarryEA

In the last few days, my Delta 40-694 developed a kinda loud clanging.

I took it apart once and greased some bearings. Saw nothing obvious.

It is Back together and still rattling.

It is the lower arm but I cannot tell if it is front or back. The sound travels the cover plate.

I'm guessing it is in the back.

I am taking it apart again. 

Don't know what to look for.

It cuts good, just noisy

Edited by LarryEA

I would have to hear it and see it run.. but I would bet it is the tension rod.. That saw is different from a DeWalt but still basic design.. I have rebuilt my DeWalt with new bearings etc only after a couple years.. so it also could be the bearings and sleeve for the eccentric.. They use a cheap grease and very sparingly.. First time i did it I only cleaned up the bearings and re- greased them with a high quality synthetic grease.. The issue was they was already worn and needed replaced...however that helped a great deal until I could order the new bearings and wait until a slow down in sales to be able to take it back apart and press out the old and press in the new bearings..

On another note... I found that the worst ware and tare on my saw seems to be the lower arm bearing at the front of the saw.. should have been designed with sealed bearings because all that sawdust falls down into these bearings.. I take it apart once a year and clean up these and re lube it.. 

Kevin   

I would have to hear it and see it run.. but I would bet it is the tension rod.. That saw is different from a DeWalt but still basic design.. I have rebuilt my DeWalt with new bearings etc only after a couple years.. so it also could be the bearings and sleeve for the eccentric.. They use a cheap grease and very sparingly.. First time i did it I only cleaned up the bearings and re- greased them with a high quality synthetic grease.. The issue was they was already worn and needed replaced...however that helped a great deal until I could order the new bearings and wait until a slow down in sales to be able to take it back apart and press out the old and press in the new bearings..

On another note... I found that the worst ware and tare on my saw seems to be the lower arm bearing at the front of the saw.. should have been designed with sealed bearings because all that sawdust falls down into these bearings.. I take it apart once a year and clean up these and re lube it.. 

Kevin   

Yep The lower bearings  are gone on 2 Dewalts of mine They need to be pressed out but i can't do it.

Glad you was able to get it running quiet and smooth..

I take my saw apart every year during the slower periods to tune it and re-grease it up.. I use it a lot.. and once a year might be a little over kill.. but it is the only saw I have for now.. and I can't afford to have it down during peek selling time.. so I find it easier to just tune it and maintain it during one of the slower months.. though I am getting busy enough that slow months are getting harder to get, LOL One day very soon I am going to splurge and get the EX-21 I have been drooling over for several years, LOL Or maybe grab a used DeWalt deal I might run across on craigslist etc.

So great to hear, Larry.  I'm thinking I need to do the same on my machine.  It is vibrating pretty bad.  I just hate to take the down time to do it. But I will.  Hope it fixes it like it did for you.

I hear ya Paul, I gritted my teeth taking it apart a second time. First time I hurried and must have missed something.

Then I made the decision that I must also do maintenance on my older Delta 40-690. All finished now...whew

I bought me a tube of synthetic grease at Napa today and my saw comes apart first of the year for a thorough cleaning and grease job. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Dick, go back and get a hypodermic needle and a new grease gun. The Hypo helps get in tight places and a new grease gun because once you attach the hypo needle, it's tough to remove.

Glad you was able to get it running quiet and smooth..

I take my saw apart every year during the slower periods to tune it and re-grease it up.. I use it a lot.. and once a year might be a little over kill.. but it is the only saw I have for now.. and I can't afford to have it down during peek selling time.. so I find it easier to just tune it and maintain it during one of the slower months.. though I am getting busy enough that slow months are getting harder to get, LOL One day very soon I am going to splurge and get the EX-21 I have been drooling over for several years, LOL Or maybe grab a used DeWalt deal I might run across on craigslist etc.

You can't over do maintenance. Reminds me of when I worked part time at a gas station owned a new Firebird.

Once a month I changed the oil and greased everything, even the door hinges. Washed and waxed.

When I sold it, it purred and all that was really needed was a new convertable top. I HATE that I sold it   :grr:

Larry,

This link has lots of info on knocking on the DW 788.  Might give you some ideas on your 694.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/SawReviews/DewltTuneUp.htm

Larry

YES IT DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best tip was one particular nut is left threaded...

easy to remove when you know which way to turn the socket  :D

If you cant figure anything out I would suggest searching the internet for similar problems and if all else fails you could contact the delta company to see if they have a solution. Hope you get it figured out, good luck

Joe, I did a search and found people with saws that had similiar symptoms....aarrggg... some complicated, so much so

that I said a silent prayer 'that' wasn't my problem. 

If "that" had been what was wrong with my saw, then I was going to buy a gallon of grease, :lol: Just joking on the grease.

Kevin   

Kevin...............I think the Delta and Dewalt could almost have interchangeable parts.

Schematics look alike.  I greased the rod. 

Glad you mentioned about lower arm bearings and sawdust because that grease is going to collect the dust... Gotta keep an eye on them

I hear ya Paul, I gritted my teeth taking it apart a second time. First time I hurried and must have missed something.

Then I made the decision that I must also do maintenance on my older Delta 40-690. All finished now...whew

Dick, go back and get a hypodermic needle and a new grease gun. The Hypo helps get in tight places and a new grease gun because once you attach the hypo needle, it's tough to remove.

I do have the little needle and I was thinking about a new grease gun anyway

Dick

heppneerguy