Resources for wood scroll saw hobby

dvickers

I'm new to scroll saw hobby and have been using very inexpensive or even free pallet wood to test different blades and learn how to work my cutting. But now I'm wanting to find some different wood and can't seem to locate any resources in my local area. (Kansas City area ). Where do most find these different wood types?

Can be ordered on line, check local saw mills, watch the side of the road for tossed out solid wood pieces. Check dumpsters near construction sites. make stuff give to friends and some times they will give you shelves or other wood they don't want and you can make something nice. I use Menard's as well as Lowes or Home depot. My favorite wood is free. 

Cabinet shops throw aways, Apartment complexes end of the month move out generate good furniture wood, yard sale wooden items ,bulk pick up days in neighborhoods, is my wood of choice ,Free!

I'm new to scroll saw hobby and have been using very inexpensive or even free pallet wood to test different blades and learn how to work my cutting. But now I'm wanting to find some different wood and can't seem to locate any resources in my local area. (Kansas City area ). Where do most find these different wood types?

I don't think I have ever paid for wood except logs for the fire and I even use that. You'll be surprised what turns up when you ask about and what people have in there sheds and downed trees or throwing out cupboard wardrobes, tables and my favourite kitchen work tops in solid wood etc.

I'm like stig of the dump! but I have bought a sheet of 1/4  birch ply once until I found a company throwing out birch ply large boxes to take apart. The bandsaw is very versatile for cutting logs. Roly