Covered Bridge

GrampaJim

This is a pattern by neptun from the SSV pattern library here.  I used 1/4" oak ply and mostly 2/0 FD spiral blades.  Finished with BLO.  Framed 8X10 with a Hobby Lobby cheap frame.

Jim

Whoa! I've gallons an gallons of boiled linseed oil, and am dyeing to use it .Plus a tall cabinet full of stains.i hope a house comes by soon!Yes covered bridges as a site to see, brings you back in time! Nice work!

very nice job. It is one that would keep you taking looks at it over and over if it was on a wall in a room you were in. There is nothing to criticize here and that is not my intent with this next sentence, I am only offering my observation here. The only thing that I would do different if I were to cut this pattern on this wood, would be to turn the wood 90 degrees and then the grain would look like a partly cloudy sky behind the bridge. I hope you take this for what i am trying to point out and not as me being critical, as I have no doubt in my mind that you skills surpass mine, my intention is only to share an idea, nothing more. this is absolutely magnificent in every way. 

Dick

heppnerguy

very nice job. It is one that would keep you taking looks at it over and over if it was on a wall in a room you were in. There is nothing to criticize here and that is not my intent with this next sentence, I am only offering my observation here. The only thing that I would do different if I were to cut this pattern on this wood, would be to turn the wood 90 degrees and then the grain would look like a partly cloudy sky behind the bridge. I hope you take this for what i am trying to point out and not as me being critical, as I have no doubt in my mind that you skills surpass mine, my intention is only to share an idea, nothing more. this is absolutely magnificent in every way. 

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi Dick,

I understand your observation and welcome other viewpoints.  That is why we are here.  I looked at grain direction a long time before starting this one.  I did  it this way to match the direction of the boards in the side of the bridge.  But the other direction would work too.  Had I been thinking, I should have done one of each, sense I stacked two pieces.  Maybe I will remember next time. 

As far as skill goes, after some practice with spirals, I think they are easier then following a line perfectly.  There are a LOT of misses in this piece, but because of the nature of the lines you can't tell. 

Jim

Hi Dick,

I understand your observation and welcome other viewpoints.  That is why we are here.  I looked at grain direction a long time before starting this one.  I did  it this way to match the direction of the boards in the side of the bridge.  But the other direction would work too.  Had I been thinking, I should have done one of each, sense I stacked two pieces.  Maybe I will remember next time. 

As far as skill goes, after some practice with spirals, I think they are easier then following a line perfectly.  There are a LOT of misses in this piece, but because of the nature of the lines you can't tell. 

Jim

Great idea, I never thought about the board grain coming into play. You are way ahead of me and my views.. 

Dick

heppnergy

I read in the Scrollsaw magazine that a good thing to do is print the pattern on a transparency first.  Then you can lay it out on a board and see how it will look with the grain, knots, and other character the wood contains.  Give a good look at where to glue the pattern.  I plan on giving this a try.