Wooden Toys

Ron Johnson

Those are some very nice toys Ron, great work!

Any finish sold in North America is non toxic once cured, as long as it is designed as a finish. Products like orange oil and lemon oil are designed as cleaners and polishes and may contain toxic ingredients.

If I was finishing those great toys, I would soak them in a 50/50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. Wipe them off with a clean soft cloth, then let them dry for twenty four to thirty six hours. Then topcoat them with Deft semi gloss spray lacquer.

Again, once fully cured, the finish will be no toxic.

P.S. Happy New Year to you too!

Edited by dgman

Very good Ron, did you buy or make the axle pegs and wheels?.

Treatment I would use is bees wax brings the grain out non toxic. I make my own from baby oil and I grate a lump of bees wax I have heated in a old bean can in a saucepan full of water heated up, then pour it into container to set. Roly

Managed some shop time making a few wood toys. Wood used is oak, maple, walnut & cherry. Would appreciate suggestions for a chemical free finish. In the meantime I would like to wish you and your families a 'Happy New Year'. Thank you. Ron.

For toys ,You really spiffed them up with a mod look to old style toys,Very clever!Just that alone sets them apart from all the others .Put these up against all the others and you win for design .I love the old new look ! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:;)

Very good Ron, did you buy or make the axle pegs and wheels?.

Treatment I would use is bees wax brings the grain out non toxic. I make my own from baby oil and I grate a lump of bees wax I have heated in a old bean can in a saucepan full of water heated up, then pour it into container to set. Roly

Hi Roly. Wheels and axles were bought.

For toys ,You really spiffed them up with a mod look to old style toys,Very clever!Just that alone sets them apart from all the others .Put these up against all the others and you win for design .I love the old new look ! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:;)

Thanks Kevin. How do you like your Excalibur?