Stabilizing Wood

Bandito

The last couple of projects that I've made were cut out of inexpensive 1/4" plywood from Ace Hardware. The outside layers are clear and have a nice grain, but they are fairly soft. I'm using FD ultra reverse #3 and #5 blades and I'm having quite a bit of chipping along the bottom edge and the top edge of the cut also. My question is, would spraying the plywood with a polyurethane prior to attaching the pattern reduce or eliminate the chipping? Or is there a substrate that might work? I've tried the blue painters tape on this wood and it seemed to pull the wood fibers when i removed it (even when I used mineral spirits). Maybe this wood is just prone to this problem. I'm interested to hear you guys's thoughts.

Thank, Chad

Hi Chad,

I buy all my plywood hare and have always been happy their prompt shipping & wood quality. For a lot of things I order "Good Booth Sides." For the amount of time spent sawing, I consider extra cost worth, as now you have 2 sides to choose from.

http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/default.htm

Also use blue tape and also have some tearing out when pulling the tape, but not enough that it annoys me. As soon as you put on your first row of tape, mark the "topside" (the side where you want to apply the pattern). Once you have covered the whole piece, you won't be able to distinquish the "better" side.

Hope this helps Friend,

jerry

I use Baltic Birch plywood 1/8 and 1/4 inch.  Blades are usually FD UR 1, 3, 5.  But also use other FD blades including the new spirals. Sometimes use painter's tape but not always.  If lot of delicate cuts then pattern direct to wood and remove with paint thinner.  To cut down of fuzzies on bottom I use very inexpensive plywood (pieces cabinet shop throws away) as a backer for what I cut. 

Larry

Here's my solution.

Those blades are too agressive.  The #3 is .031 thick, the #5 is .037 .... mini chainsaws (to me) 

I would suggest FD-PS #1 that has 28 TPI ... less agressive ..these are .026 thick

1/4" plywood I consider a soft wood... even stacked, you can cut it with thin blades.

I have use Olsen #0-ST  for cutting 1/4" times three (stack cutting) .024" thick 25TPI

Also , check your area (hardware stores...etc) for who sells BB or Luan.

Edited by LarryEA

I have always used Olsen blades until my last order.

I bought patterns and blades from scroller on-line and

bought the Flying Dutchman blades. These are definitely

much for aggressive than the Olsen blades were so,

you may want to try some Olsen blades or some from

a local wood crafting or hobby store.

Of course, the cheaper plywood will probably be more

prone to chipping than good Baltic Birch but, I have used

the cheaper wood and, once in a frame, the edges don't show

and that's where most of the chipping occurs.

Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. When I was looking at blades to order, the FD-UR seemed to be a good all around choice. I didn't realize they were as aggressive as they are. Maybe they are better suited for thicker or harder wood. The wood that I got at Ace Hardware was inexpensive compared to the lumber yards selection. As I get better I'm going to have to order from Sloans or one of the other supplier. I did get a dozen FD-P #3's with my blade order. How would these compare to the FD-PS blades? 

The last couple of projects that I've made were cut out of inexpensive 1/4" plywood from Ace Hardware. The outside layers are clear and have a nice grain, but they are fairly soft. I'm using FD ultra reverse #3 and #5 blades and I'm having quite a bit of chipping along the bottom edge and the top edge of the cut also. My question is, would spraying the plywood with a polyurethane prior to attaching the pattern reduce or eliminate the chipping? Or is there a substrate that might work? I've tried the blue painters tape on this wood and it seemed to pull the wood fibers when i removed it (even when I used mineral spirits). Maybe this wood is just prone to this problem. I'm interested to hear you guys's thoughts.

Thank, Chad

Thank, Chad

Not all wood chips on me,Hard wood chip the least.,OPak plwood is very sturdy to use.