fire wood

bandaideman

Had a disaster today defined as what happens when a fat lady backs up in to a plane propeller. I had finished a project after about 6 hours. looked great and was taking pattern off the wood and it decided to fall to the cement floor. It did not shatter but there are about 8 pieces that are no longer where I cut them. I think I can glue things in place on a backer board and mama has new covered bridge plaque whether she wants one or not. Just can't throw out walnut.

It happens.  I finished a very detailed one, Mike Williams' Moose, decided to trim one side on the table saw.  BOOM!! The biggest piece was about a 1/2" square!  My fault, I had to look at it as an opportunity to cut the pattern again.

Sorry it happened to you, shake it off and get scrolling again. :cry:

Edited by Scrappile

Had a disaster today defined as what happens when a fat lady backs up in to a plane propeller. I had finished a project after about 6 hours. looked great and was taking pattern off the wood and it decided to fall to the cement floor. It did not shatter but there are about 8 pieces that are no longer where I cut them. I think I can glue things in place on a backer board and mama has new covered bridge plaque whether she wants one or not. Just can't throw out walnut.

It's only the difficult ones that fall and shatter into a million pieces.

Oh yea.   Anyone that has scrolled, especially fretwork  for any length of time has had similar things happen.   My problem is if I try to salvage the work piece it drives me nuts knowing it had to be repaired and wasn't perfect, but that is just me.   Believe me I have made my share of designer firewood but I still love this hobby.  Sometimes no matter how careful we try to be sh*# happens.   

similar thing happened to me, except instead of dropping my piece, I glued it up wrong and all was lost.. i cut an Eiffel Tower and changed the pattern just a little to hide the end grains and did not think it our well enough. It was not until the very last part was glued, that i realized none of it was square. No salvaging could be made. It did burn well though... I have probably 16 hours of cutting in that one, so I  know how you feel. I had to start all over again.. It turned out to be a good learning experience 

Dick

heppnerguy

Have it all glued up and does not look too bad at all. I will see when I finish and i am sure my wife of a friend will enjoy it. That is what it is all about having someone appretiate and enjoy your art work. Hey Dick since it wasn't square let it lean and call it the Effil Pisca. I would have had to kick the cat and bite the dog and cry on that one.