Wheels for DeWalt Scroll Saw

jbrowning

just a suggestion for any wheels you might end up buying I would only put them on the back legs but not on the bottom but on the back just enough so they touch the ground. this way whenever you need to move it you just tilt it back on those wheels and wheel it around. that way its solid on the ground instead of sitting on wheels. I dont know if you could do this on the dewalt stand but it was just an idea.

sears_tablesaw_casters1.jpg

If you are talking about the DeWalt stand, don't do it! I am the scroll saw instructor at the Woodcraft store in Ventura, Ca. The store installed locking casters on the demonstration saw so it could be easily moved around the store and shop. Even with the wheels locked, the Stand wobbles and is top heavy. Also it raises the saw table to high for comfort. That may not be a problem if you are tall, but at 5' 10", it's to high for me.

At my shop, the saw is permanently parked in its place. If I need to move it to clean, I can easily pull it out.

P.S. The DeWalt stand has three legs, one in back and two in front, so the solution young_scroller made would be impractical.

Edited by dgman

Hi Friend,

I like the idea of sitting down and pulling the saw towards me. Here is what I did and really like it.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/topic/15942-my-new-command-control-center/?hl=jerry1939#entry151662

One addition after these photos. On the closest side of the leg I straddle, I glued, screwed & carpeted a 1X4X12 or 14"? Use one foot to keep the saw from creeping away & the other foot on the switch. Alternate with switching feet. Also, with wheels, if you are swinging a large piece while sawing, you push the saw away as needed. With the "new" 1X4, I pull it back.

I have a composite flooring on my shop and use "sliders" like H-F sells under mine! Sturdy, still stable and slide nicely!

I had made a stand for a previous scrollsaw and had just front wheels on a three point stand. I could then use it like a 2 wheel hand truck anywhere! That I had made from metal--heavy and with a actual car jack for raising and lowering! I often moved it 40+ feet and ran it outside to the garge apron.

I would have made one for my DW; b ut my wood-shop is on the 2nd floor; and out to the garage apron is no longer an option!

I have a DW788 with factory stand. I just use the cheap "sliders" under the 3 legs and it works well on my shop floor. The floor is laminate. I bought a swivel wooden counter stooll at Salvation army store for my chair and it works very well for my sitting down use with he factory stand.

H-F has some of those sliders available.

Sorry bout the double up; thoughtt hta I had forgotten to post then both showed up.

Edited by rjR

Bobby

I cut a rectangular piece of 3/4 ply, put 4 inch locking swivel casters on it, bolted the DW stand to the plywood and then put a 40 pound bag of water softener salt on the plywood base.  No vibration and and very portable.  I do encourage you to use the 4 inch casters if you do something like this as I think they work so much better than the 2 or 3 inch casters.  You really cannot see the base very well in the photo but I also added a put a piece of plywood on top of the stand the same size as the base so I had a shelf for blades and other items.  The PVC is part of my dust collection system.

post-8034-0-87059700-1451999955_thumb.jpg

Edited by Doug

So my DeWalt Scroll Saw just arrived and I already have the table that goes with it from DeWalt. Has anyone put the table and saw on wheels to move it around? If so which ones and how are they working out for you?

Yes,My dewalt is on 4" wheels with no locks or breaks,They are mounted on a 4" thickplatform and my dewalt factory stand is on top of all that Plus modified back up front down stand .The saw is angled ! foot in the back so i look down on my patterns to see exactly where my blades going.I sit scrolling on an office roll around chair up all the way as i'm 6'1" i have my ryobe planner counter balancing the whole works very nicely.Very small wheels don't roll around very much if you need that or just but on thick carpet  to stop the roll around.

Not wanting to make my DeWalt 788 move around too easily, but not dig into the floor like these DeWalt saw stands want to do when pushed around, I installed pinball machine feet on my saw stand. I've also installed them on my other scroll saw stand, a Delta 40-650 Q3, my RBI Routershop, and several other machines in my shop. At one time I was a partner in an amusement machine business and found these feet to be ideal for many uses beside pinball machines. At less than $1.00 each they are a very low cost solution. The foot part of them is floating, so they can be pushed across slightly rough surfaces without digging in. I buy them from  www.pbresource.com. 

post-28773-0-89101500-1452014209_thumb.jpg

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

If you are talking about the DeWalt stand, don't do it! I am the scroll saw instructor at the Woodcraft store in Ventura, Ca. The store installed locking casters on the demonstration saw so it could be easily moved around the store and shop. Even with the wheels locked, the Stand wobbles and is top heavy. Also it raises the saw table to high for comfort. That may not be a problem if you are tall, but at 5' 10", it's to high for me.

At my shop, the saw is permanently parked in its place. If I need to move it to clean, I can easily pull it out.

P.S. The DeWalt stand has three legs, one in back and two in front, so the solution young_scroller made would be impractical.

Why can't one put the wheels on the part of the stand with 2 wheels ?  Not sure about the stand but it seems to me it would work if the wheels were in the front of the stand or the back of the stand.  Just wondering

Dick

heppnerguy

I purchased some wheels from rockleller They have a stem and fit through the hole in the Dewalt leg set.

I had to buy a set of for below is a link to what they look like it may have been these but it was about a year or so ago so not sure .

They are at full price right now but usually go on sale. They work great for me yes it is a little top heavy but not a problem

http://www.rockler.com/total-lock-shop-stand-casters

Why can't one put the wheels on the part of the stand with 2 wheels ?  Not sure about the stand but it seems to me it would work if the wheels were in the front of the stand or the back of the stand.  Just wondering

Dick

heppnerguy

Sounds like it would work. Especially if you put the wheels on the side of the stand, just barely above floor level so you lift the other end up and the wheels then touch the floor to roll. I did this on my table saw and it works great.