Excalibur ex-21 Bad vibration

SCROLLECTOMY

I have had an Excalibur ex-21 for around a year.  At first it was really nice and smooth running .  It has now developed quite a loud vibration, especially when increasing speed it gets really bad.

I have tried online to find a solution. Checked forward backward movement and it seems to be fine.  Have checked a bolt at the back of the saw behind the inspection plate, which someone suggested I tighten, but cannot budge it at all it is already so tight.

Desperate to fix the problem so any help would be gratefully accepted.

I looked in the forum to see if this problem has come up before but could not find anything, so if I missed it I apologise....

You might wish to look into this:

Running rough from Kip cool.gif Scrollin' with an Ex-21 http://tidewater-creations.com

In recent months it has slowly but surely started running rough. Not really a vibration like before but seems to be in the upper arm. If I lift up on the arm the sound and vibration stop. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until today when the speed control knob started clanging and I tightened set screw to fix it. Took note stock of the situation and realized how bad things are.

An update...decided to wait till after the holidays to phone Ray @ Seyco as I was sure this was going to be a long process that involved taking the machine apart and tracking down various potential issues.

Well of course I was wrong and it took all of 1 minute for Ray to diagnose...LOL

Did have to modify a wrench but all is well

My problem developed over time and it's best described as running rough with sounds and vibration getting much worse as speed is increased. At full speed the quick release lever would pop open. 

The repair was simple: remove cover from back of saw opposite motor and tighten screw in cut out area. If screw continues to turn you must apply a modified 8mmwrench to the back side and hold bolt. Tighten firmly.

As shown you must add a "bend" in the wrench. You can heat it and bend it in a vise or take a hammer and beat the tar out of it. I fully recommend the later as it works great and is a stress reliever as well smile.gif

I have added pics in case this wasn't clear.

Pivot.jpg Pivot2.jpg Pivot3.jpg Pivot4.jpg

DW

You might wish to look into this:

Running rough from Kip cool.gif Scrollin' with an Ex-21 http://tidewater-creations.com

In recent months it has slowly but surely started running rough. Not really a vibration like before but seems to be in the upper arm. If I lift up on the arm the sound and vibration stop. I didn't realize how bad it had gotten until today when the speed control knob started clanging and I tightened set screw to fix it. Took note stock of the situation and realized how bad things are.

An update...decided to wait till after the holidays to phone Ray @ Seyco as I was sure this was going to be a long process that involved taking the machine apart and tracking down various potential issues.

Well of course I was wrong and it took all of 1 minute for Ray to diagnose...LOL

Did have to modify a wrench but all is well

My problem developed over time and it's best described as running rough with sounds and vibration getting much worse as speed is increased. At full speed the quick release lever would pop open. 

The repair was simple: remove cover from back of saw opposite motor and tighten screw in cut out area. If screw continues to turn you must apply a modified 8mmwrench to the back side and hold bolt. Tighten firmly.

As shown you must add a "bend" in the wrench. You can heat it and bend it in a vise or take a hammer and beat the tar out of it. I fully recommend the later as it works great and is a stress reliever as well smile.gif

I have added pics in case this wasn't clear.

Pivot.jpg Pivot2.jpg Pivot3.jpg Pivot4.jpg

DW

Thank you so much ,as far as i know the Excaliber and the dw788 are basically the same workings.So it should apply to both machines for this problem

Thanks so much for the info.  I tried tightening this bolt on my machine, altered an 8mm wrench and found that the bolt was already really tight as I could not tighten it any further.

So still have the vibration unfortunately.  Will have to go back to the company I purchased it from and see if they can solve it.

Thanks

I would give Ray a call at Seyco and see what he suggest. Their number is 1-800-462-3353 not sure they're open on the weekend. you may also give Patrick Margo a call if you Ray can't help you he is the guy that is over the Excalibur line for General International. His number is 1-905-822-4832 if he doesn't answer leave a message he will return your call. Try Ray first. I hope this helps Jeff

Thanks guys I will let you know how it all works out.  Thats the exact screw I tried to tighten (As in the photo's) If I do not hold the nut at the back with the wrench the screw will turn freely. But when I hold the nut at the back with the wrench I cannot move the screw at all.  It seems to be locked tight.  Have a guy gonna look at it tomorrow, fingers crossed  ;)

Hi. Any update on your problem SCROLLECTOMY?

I have been having the same type of problem.

My General/Excalibur EX-21 is only one year old as well.

Took it back to Carbatec last week. One of the guy's there that does Scroll saw work had a look and said it was no right. It should run like butter.

Well, it runs like lumpy butter.

Got it back yesterday.

Was told that they changed a linkage. Everything else was running ok.

Got it home and started it up. No better, may even be worse!

It will be going back.

If you have any report, it may help with mine as well.

Thanks

Hi Guys    Update ......  The Guy that looked at my machine, has had the same machine for several years and has this problem of vibration every so often.  The way he fixes it (and fixed mine) is to loosen off the bolts holding the motor, marks the position of the motor with a sharpie, then rotates the motor back and forth with the machine running on the lowest speed, and then returns it to its original position and retightens the bolts.  He did this procedure on mine and it has reduced the vibration greatly.  Will let you know how  it progresses in use.  Hope I explained it okay 

Be interesting to know what that does to correct the problem.  I know you move the motor to adjust the forward/back movement of the blade.  It talk about that in the owner's manual.  But it doesn't describe returning the motor to the original position.  Anyway it is an easy enough thing to try and if it helps, great.  I think I will give it a try.

Yes I agree rotating the motor addresses the forward backward movement of the blade, but at this juncture I was willing to try anything to try and cure the problem.  I belong to a local scrollsaw club and many of the members have the same machine.  Several have tried going back to Carbatec (here in Aus) but unfortunately they do not seem to have any more expertise with this machine (probably less) than the guys at my club. There seems to be a dire need for a representative of General International to chip in and offer some solution to what would seem to be a recurring problem.  So as yet I do not think that I have come across a definitive solution, but will keep trying 

Hi Thumper

Very interested in what happens with your machine and Carbatec.  Some of the guys at the local scroll saw club have also tried Carbatec unsuccessfully.  Its getting the expertise in Australia to fix this particular machine :-(

Seyco has a free number: 1-800-462-3353  Will that work from Australia?  They are good and most time can diagnose by listening over the phone.

Hi all.

Got my saw back today.

Has had the complete upper and lower drive link assembly replaced.

This was not done because it was the problem, but as a "try and see" job.

No problem could really be found! Seyco were contacted, as was the Australian supplier. Neither had any helpful info.

It seems to be running a bit smoother, so I will see how it goes.

Will let you know what happens after a bit of use.