High C Note Tuning Fork - Blade Tensioning Question

PMosley

It's often said that the blade needs to be tuned to a high C note for proper tension. Unfortunately, I do not know what a high C note sounds like. I want to purchase a tuning fork to aid in proper blade tensioning but am unsure which one to buy. What frequency should the tuning fork have? Thanks!

Phillip,

I am "tone" deaf.  The only C note I recognize is a $100.00 bill.  I tighten the blade until I get a nice clear tone when I pluck it with my finger.  But for me that does not work when the blade in inserted in the wood then cannot get a clear tone, just a dull thump.  For inside cuts I tighten blade until there is a slight give to the left or right when I push on the blade.  If you do not purchase a tuning fork, you will have money to purchase more blades. ;)

Larry

I play guitar and I'm quite familiar with a C note, however I've never once tried to get my blade to sound like one.  When I first started out scrolling I was always worried if my blade had enough tension, but I've learned over time what feels right and what don't.   You get a nice high pitch ping when you pluck the blade and your doing good.  Even with a tuning fork you'd end up driving yourself crazy trying to get a perfect pitch out of a saw blade.  Just my advice, someone else might see it differently though.

I doubt there is a person in The Village that owns a tuning fork for scrolling. It is not that important to be perfect. Just make sure you r blade is not loose, like the post above mine says. I just give my tension a turn and when the resistance stops my effort and without any extra snugging and it seems to be just fine. It really is not something you need to worry about. I saw a you tube with the sound of the blade recorded. Kevin will most likely post you that link for that if I know Kevin

Dick

heppnerguy

Edited by heppnerguy

with no wood around the blade tension the blade and pluck it until it sounds clear. Look at the numbers or whatever on the tensioning device. then when you put the wood on just turn to that setting. Don't worry if its not at 440 cycles that really does not matter. Save you $$ for wood or patters

Scroll Saw Blade Tension Software.

It's often said that the blade needs to be tuned to a high C note for proper tension. Unfortunately, I do not know what a high C note sounds like. I want to purchase a tuning fork to aid in proper blade tensioning but am unsure which one to buy. What frequency should the tuning fork have? Thanks!