Baltic Birch

Sparkey

I noticed a lot of you use 1/8" BB. I have only used 1/4". For those that have used both do you notice a difference in the look of the finished product because of the thickness. I heard from somebody once that he thought 1/4" looked better because it extra thickness gave it a better effect.

I use 1/8" Baltic Birch for my tray type puzzles. But I use 1/4" Baltic Birch for my Christmas card puzzles.

Where I live I have only found one source of 5' x 5' 1/8th BB and that is 50 miles away.

I've tried to convince a closer source to stock the 1/8" BB to no avail. They say there is no demand. How would they know? They have never carried it!

I have noticed no difference in the quality of either.

But time to time I have noticed there will be a 1" oval piece that is glued in to one side. That is annoying but usually I can work around that. I have found that in both 1/8 and 1/4. Otherwise the quality is the same.

Edited by orangeman

Where I live I have only found one source of 5' x 5' 1/8th BB and that is 50 miles away.

I've tried to convince a closer source to stock the 1/8" BB to no avail. They say there is no demand. How would they know? They have never carried it!

I have noticed no difference in the quality of either.

But time to time I have noticed there will be a 1" oval piece that is glued in to one side. That is annoying but usually I can work around that. I have found that in both 1/8 and 1/4. Otherwise the quality is the same.

A lot of it sold is B/BB or BB/BB

B is the good side,no plugs,limited pin knots.

BB has more knots and a limited number of plugs

I get 1/8" stuff from Wurth wood group, B/BB for about $17.50 A 5'X5' sheet.

They're over 100 miles away but they deliver in my area twice a week.

There's one in Atlanta.

I noticed a lot of you use 1/8" BB. I have only used 1/4". For those that have used both do you notice a difference in the look of the finished product because of the thickness. I heard from somebody once that he thought 1/4" looked better because it extra thickness gave it a better effect.

I scroll too much to spend time making frames,lol :roll:

I use both, but 1/4 inch is way easier to cut. But for some projects, like Christmas ornaments, where the thinner,the better. I always us 1/8 inch. if I am going to use a backer board I will often go to the 1/8 inch because I prefer not to have the thicker depth. I think it looks better that way.

Dick

heppnerguy