Belt or Direct Drive - Which do you prefer and why ?

FranMike Harley

Just curious because I know there will be a time when I need to look for a new machine - which "drive" folks prefer.. I see that PS WOODS makes a belt driven saw but what if you needed to change speeds (for whatever reason) while you're working on a piece.. You have to stop and manually roll the belt up or down ? Isn't it just easier to turn a knob to do the same thing and get instant results    :?:

What are some advantages / disadvantages of both ? 

(Sorry if this has been asked here before.)

I would have to believe most machines today are direct drive.  It is nice to be able to turn a knob to adjust the speed, plus the fact that in most cases you have infinite speeds where with a belt you have only as many speeds as you have belt/pulley changes.  This discussion comes up often in the lathe turning world of wood working.  Both work, but if you have the option, I would choose direct drive, in fact, I did.

I have a old ps wood machine, the belts are hard on your fingers to change speeds. Its a little ruff running saw. The top blade clamp will not hold the blade tight it slips all the time. I ordered a new top clamp, after an hour of use the blade started to slip. The little square that the screw goes through is not tight with the clamp at the top and moves. Ordered more little square for the clamp and did the same thing. I changed bearing and sleeves and the barrels on the back of the machine. Did not help anything. And most important of all could not get the blade to run straight up and down. It has an aggressive cut to it. And breaks blades all the time. I bought a Ex Excalibur and have not had any trouble so far, its a year old. Good luck

I have a Delta P-20 belt driven. I had a Craftsman direct drive with variable speed control but the control board went out twice in 5 years. I got the belt drive because I don't change speeds in the middle of cutting and figured less electronics less that can go wrong. I've had the P-20 for 8 years with no troubles. 

Just curious because I know there will be a time when I need to look for a new machine - which "drive" folks prefer.. I see that PS WOODS makes a belt driven saw but what if you needed to change speeds (for whatever reason) while you're working on a piece.. You have to stop and manually roll the belt up or down ? Isn't it just easier to turn a knob to do the same thing and get instant results    :?:

What are some advantages / disadvantages of both ? 

(Sorry if this has been asked here before.)

Sorry i didn't answer the question ,go with a dewalt dw788 .you can't go wrong there.The less fooling around the more fun time you have!

• 2 weeks later...

I have three saws.  Two are direct drive and single speed.  One has belt drive and changing speeds is simple.  I keep that one on the slowest speed though.  All of my saws have long lasting induction motors  which are not adaptable to speed control without a pretty expensive alteration.  My experiance with universal (brushed) motors on scroll saws was short.  One of them had a speed controller that died.   Most of my scroll saws are now over thirty years old.

I have had both types and like what has already been said they both have advantages.   Convenience, and infinite speed settings,but more costly to repair with one, and less convenient but simple, reliable less costly to repair speed setting on the other.    I used a Delta P20 for many years and didn't find manually changing speeds to be that big a deal.

Edited by stoney

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Ex30 belt driven and is variable speed. 18 years old. A very smooth and fairly quiet operating machine. I've had direct drive as well but for some reason prefer belt driven. Everyone has their own preference and of course there're advantages and disadvantages to both. If I was to purchase a new scrollsaw it would be belt driven and variable speed.