Lettering ideas needed for scroll saw project

dvickers

I'm building bottle opener for my patio and had this idea to use a KC Royals theme since I have several items already in that theme.  Yes I'm a Royals fan but a have a couple of questions.

First, While I'm not using the Royals logo it is somewhat similar and was concerned that I might be breaking some law or copyright.  

Second, The particular font I'm using  isn't what I would call scroll saw friendly.  Using INKSCAPE (recently learned from the video's in Village Universtity, Thanks Travis)  I have placed some stop points on the characters like "A" "O" etc.  Is there a better way to do this? 

While it's not complete, I've attached the pattern that I made in INKSCAPE if anyone has any ideas that could be helpful.  I was also thinking of doing an inlay for the infield and bases but I'm not certain I'm up to speed on that type of scroll saw work.  Plus I don't think my little Ryobi 16" would work like that.  So there are several things I'm trying to work out for this in my head.  

Thanks for your help.

David

post-28827-0-55472700-1452634589_thumb.png

post-28827-0-18742300-1452634614_thumb.png

post-28827-0-37444100-1452634675_thumb.png

Everyone here will have their "go to" fonts.  I personally was underwhelmed with the font you used for ROYALS. 

Please Sir, do not take this as criticism.  Fonts I like are:  Forte, Cooper, Super Plummer, Ostrich & Free Style Script.  Also use MV Boli for most of the patterns I submit, but I don't think that's what you want for your project.

Best of luck Friend.  You have the makings of a great pattern/idea.

jerry

Great project you have going there. As for the font, put the bridges near and parallel to an adjoining line. This seems to hide the break more.

Do you think the magnets are strong enough?

Thanks Dan. Yes I built one last summer just a basic one made from pallet slat 5.25" wide and 11" length. We used a router to lay the magnets in the back of the wood. I get the cheap magnets at the local Harbor Freight and I'm surprised at how many bottle caps it will grab on the way down from the bottle opener.

What i do for those dangly bit is print it out in its full font.

then i will just pencil in where i want the divisions and the like to be to hold the pieces in place.

Thats what i used to do.  now i put things on a backer board so i dont need to worry about the danglys or the stray bits as i put them back into the piece and glues them down.  really simplified things.

I'm building bottle opener for my patio and had this idea to use a KC Royals theme since I have several items already in that theme.  Yes I'm a Royals fan but a have a couple of questions.

First, While I'm not using the Royals logo it is somewhat similar and was concerned that I might be breaking some law or copyright.  

Second, The particular font I'm using  isn't what I would call scroll saw friendly.  Using INKSCAPE (recently learned from the video's in Village Universtity, Thanks Travis)  I have placed some stop points on the characters like "A" "O" etc.  Is there a better way to do this? 

While it's not complete, I've attached the pattern that I made in INKSCAPE if anyone has any ideas that could be helpful.  I was also thinking of doing an inlay for the infield and bases but I'm not certain I'm up to speed on that type of scroll saw work.  Plus I don't think my little Ryobi 16" would work like that.  So there are several things I'm trying to work out for this in my head.  

Thanks for your help.

David

Looks good ! ;) ;) ;):cool: