I had a great time tonight

heppnerguy

I decided that I was going to learn inserting other kinds of woods into my projects so I set up my second saw the way that Jim Finn to us to in the tutorial he wrote for us on this subject. I had made an insert box a couple of years ago and then for some reason I could not get it a second time so I just gave up. Jim has been a big inspiration to me and this Christmas I decided I wanted to try again. I even purchased one of Jim's beautiful boxed for one of my wife's presents. She loved it as much as I did. anyway, tonight I went to my shop and made a simple heart pattern and it cut perfectly. I do not see how it could be any better so i  then cut a crawling baby and that came out perfect too so I thought it would be interesting to try a pattern using 2 different woods. I failed at that attempt to achieve what i was after so I tried again  using a little different Idea that too was a failure, I was determined to figure it out and I was able to get what I wanted as far as the look goes but not I have still ended up with an indented wood on the back side. So  even though it looks great on the front part that back is not there. I still need to figure out what I have to do to get it right. I think it will end up trying to find the correct angle. I will get it but not tonight as we are going to be leaving for a couple of days early tomorrow morning. I will let you know what happens from here

Dick

heppnerguy

Well Dick, the old saying about try try try again seems to be apt for this posting. Do you have any pics of what your trying to accomplish? If we could see it, maybe we could help you figure it out.

Len

well here is my crawling baby, my second practice piece and s butterfly trying to use 2 colors of wood. the one on the right was a complete failure and the wing on the left side was my 'almost got it''   There is  no filler of attempt to finish anything  just practice cuts

Dick

heppnerguy

post-2238-0-60440600-1452881321_thumb.jpg

post-2238-0-14486800-1452881770_thumb.jpg

Edited by heppnerguy

well here is my crawling baby, my second practice piece and s butterfly trying to use 2 colors of wood. the one on the right was a complete failure and the wing on the left side was my 'almost got it''   There is  no filler of attempt to finish anything  just practice cuts

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks for the pictures

Well Dick, for just starting this type of work, I think that you've done a fantastic job. The only issue with the baby crawling, is the drill hole. And I don't know what happened to half of the butterfly, but, one half looks to be a perfect fit. Personally, I think that the butterfly is salvageable. You've got nothing to lose by trying to save it, other than a bit of time.

Len