Need help choosing chair/stool

mifon1

My Excaliber 21 came in yesterday. I completed the assembly of the stand and got it all set up last night. I look forward to spending many hours making sawdust.

That brings me to my question - What do you recommend as a stool or chair that would support you and comfortably allow you to sit and scroll?? I did a search of the forum and I saw mention of both stools and chairs. But, no real recommendation based on your experience while scrolling. If it's a chair, do you recommend arms?

If you would like to post a photo of your scrolling "office" showing the stool/chair you recommend, feel free.

Thanks

Mike

I use a very cheap wooden drafting chair-- Back no arms! It was a Salvation Army store special.

I am fairly short and the factory DeWalt stand is to high for me to be even close to using an ordinary chair!  So it was find something or do more standing cutting than I like to do! Sometimes I have to stand to control larger pieces and still easy to do; just pick/slide my stool out of the way!

I do NOT HAVE --DO NOT want wheels-- moves around less and easier to control the wood.

The stool has a foot ring and works well for me. It also fit my first criteria--CHEAP--- Was less than a fiver then they gave me "old foggy" discount too.

If you try a couple of SA/Goodwill/yard sale specials-- you can find what works best for you; without having big $$$ in it and then it is not comfortable.

Hope this helps -- browsing the CHEAPIE stores is free and you might also find a treasure!

I think a lot of this comes down to personal preference, and the height of the stand would come into play as well.  When I built my stand all I had was a folding chair so I built the stand to be of a comfortable height for that chair.  Since then I got an adjustable desk chair that I can move up and down, I took the wheels off it so I wasn't rolling away from the saw while working.  This works good for me.

I think personal preference it the best alternative.  Somethings you might give consideration of are, I found I like a stool, with no arms.  Stool because it is height adjustible, back can be adjusted in both height and forward and backward.  Important to me because of back problems. I tried one with arms and they got in my way.  The stool I ended up with was a little expensive, but I think it was money well spent.  Helps me to be able to sit longer and enjoy the hobby.  The only problem with mine is, right now it rolls too easily.  I will correct this with a matt on the floor.  I have one, when it dries it will go back in front of my station.  The set is not fabric, not sure what it is called, but it is comfortable, and very easy to clean.  I ordered it through Global Industrial.

post-22608-0-42996400-1453410194_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike. I've been using a regular stool with a comfortable padded seat for twenty years plus. No back, no arms, no rollers and not adjustable. I think I paid $10.00 for it at a garage sale. This is what works for me and I wouldn't upgrade to anything else. Important to choose what will work for you and you'll be comfortable with. Congrats on your new saw. I've been using the Excalibur 30 for 18 years and it still performs like a dream.p

post-20386-0-06595100-1453513496_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Ron Johnson

My Excaliber 21 came in yesterday. I completed the assembly of the stand and got it all set up last night. I look forward to spending many hours making sawdust.

That brings me to my question - What do you recommend as a stool or chair that would support you and comfortably allow you to sit and scroll?? I did a search of the forum and I saw mention of both stools and chairs. But, no real recommendation based on your experience while scrolling. If it's a chair, do you recommend arms?

If you would like to post a photo of your scrolling "office" showing the stool/chair you recommend, feel free.

Thanks

Mike

Find something that supports your back good

I think personal preference it the best alternative.  Somethings you might give consideration of are, I found I like a stool, with no arms.  Stool because it is height adjustible, back can be adjusted in both height and forward and backward.  Important to me because of back problems. I tried one with arms and they got in my way.  The stool I ended up with was a little expensive, but I think it was money well spent.  Helps me to be able to sit longer and enjoy the hobby.  The only problem with mine is, right now it rolls too easily.  I will correct this with a matt on the floor.  I have one, when it dries it will go back in front of my station.  The set is not fabric, not sure what it is called, but it is comfortable, and very easy to clean.  I ordered it through Global Industrial.

I have the same stool and would highly recommend it. I've had for a couple years now and haven't had any issues with it.  

I have a roll around padded office chair with back and arms.  I do not use the arms while sawing but I do when I am resting.  I spend hours at my scroll saws so I have the table of the saw at chest height while seated.  This keeps my back up straight while sawing and the stand is also high enough to use while standing if I need to, while sawing large pieces.

I have a wooden bar stool 28" high fits my saw fine it has padding only with a square padding I am not crazy about the padding I have learned how to set on it I bought it at a garage sale for $5. i have looked to replace it but $40 is too high . My stool has no arms or back.  but it is what ever you prefer.