More Saburo Oguro

Montserrat

Another set of puzzles from Saburo Oguro as found in the German scroll saw magazine. 

I stack-cut the first set (poplar and oak 1/2" each), it went perfectly.   I tried the second set (walnut and oak 3/4" each), and it all went wrong.  Even though, I was careful to let the blade do the walking, I could see after the first two elephants came out, that the bottom pieces were increasing, i.e. the blade was bending.  So I undid the stack and had to switch to poplar.  I then cut the pieces separately.  But as you can see in the picture there are bit gaps, when mixing and matching.  

This puts me back to the problem with inlays.  Obviously I can't figure out the right blade for cutting two pieces of 3/4" hardwood stacked.  I used an OLSON MACH 9R.  I had previously bought the OLSON Scroll Blades for Thick wood, but I cannot make any tight turns with those.  The Blade will bend but not go around the curve unless it is rather big. 

Sorry if I am mixing bragging and asking for advice here.  Hope that is ok with forum etiquette. 

post-28761-0-22368600-1453683097_thumb.jpg

post-28761-0-52842300-1453683100_thumb.jpg

post-28761-0-48674900-1453683137_thumb.jpg

post-28761-0-02002100-1453683160_thumb.jpg

post-28761-0-59506800-1453683162_thumb.jpg

Excellent work Monti. The thickest hardwood I've cut is 1" even though my scrollsaw can cut up to 2" thickness. I use the Olson brand blades and when cutting any hardwood with a lot of corners I'll use a #5 skip tooth. If I was stack cutting two ¾" pieces of hardwood I would still only use a #5, double check my table is parallel to my blade. I would start cutting my pattern counter clock wise. But do a test cut first. Slow Down the speed accordingly and change blades when I notce more force is required. This is my opinion only and may not be the correct way.

The absolutely best blade I have found for cutting 3/4" puzzles from hardwoods (cherry, canarywood, walnut, padauk, maple, etc) are the Pegas Modified Geometry Blades #3-#7.

I used to use Flying Dutchman ultra reverse #5,7 but found the Pegas blades are much superior to the Flying Dutchman blades for cutting hardwood puzzles.

Edited by orangeman

I took the liberty of contacting the magazine editor and he sent me this information on trying to purchase an issue.  Not sure on the exchange rate and shipping cost, but I will probably go for it and buy one.  Wonder how this German magazine got the designer to agree to work with them and fox chapel publishing could not.

Let me know if you order a copy and how it works for you.

jim

penquin

Dear Mr Mc Guire,

our magazine is only sold here in Germany. You can order it in our onlineshop http://www.drechslermagazin.net/dmshop/ and you have the possibility to pay it with PayPal. When we got your order, we will send it to you to Los Angeles.

Best regards

Ines Santoro

DrechslerMagazin & FEINSCHNITTkreativ

Verlag Holger Graf

Hauptstrasse 28

78247 Hilzingen

Deutschland

Tel.: +49 (0)7731 183738

Fax.: +49 (0)7731 183739

info@drechslermagazin.net

Another set of puzzles from Saburo Oguro as found in the German scroll saw magazine. 

I stack-cut the first set (poplar and oak 1/2" each), it went perfectly.   I tried the second set (walnut and oak 3/4" each), and it all went wrong.  Even though, I was careful to let the blade do the walking, I could see after the first two elephants came out, that the bottom pieces were increasing, i.e. the blade was bending.  So I undid the stack and had to switch to poplar.  I then cut the pieces separately.  But as you can see in the picture there are bit gaps, when mixing and matching.  

This puts me back to the problem with inlays.  Obviously I can't figure out the right blade for cutting two pieces of 3/4" hardwood stacked.  I used an OLSON MACH 9R.  I had previously bought the OLSON Scroll Blades for Thick wood, but I cannot make any tight turns with those.  The Blade will bend but not go around the curve unless it is rather big. 

Sorry if I am mixing bragging and asking for advice here.  Hope that is ok with forum etiquette. 

Quality work and like your comments!