D&Y in Hearts

FranMike Harley

Ok so my daughter is getting married in May and I wanted to do a little something for her and her fiance' for their fireplace - their initials in hearts. I designed this last night using Inkscape. It's about 9" long and 8" high.. 1/2" thick. 

There is no background to it (the red is the wall)  and debating on whether or not I want to put a base on it. Perhaps I'll make it so they can use the base if they want or not use it and hang it up..

I was going to scroll their wedding date along the bottom but I chickened out. Didn't want to take a chance on messing it up..   :)    Perhaps I'll "burn" the date in - dunno yet.. 

D&Y Hearts

File this next tidbit under "Interesting" (Well - to me, anyway..)

While I was working on this piece, the bulb blew out in my workshop and there I was in the dark, with only the saw lamp on.. After I said a few mumbling words under my breath (OK - maybe NOT so much under my breath), I noticed that I can actually see the lines and my cuts much clearer with the light out.. So I didn't replace the bulb until after I was done.

Dunno - maybe it made me concentrate more on the piece and where I was cutting but from now on, I guess I'll be working with the light off and only using the saw lamp !!  :shock:  :thumbs:

That is very nice.I am sure they will love it.

Hard to say about adding the date..looks good as is.

I would definitely say no to burning the date into it.

The stand and or hanger is a good idea.

The bonus is you made this in the dark lol.

I faced my saw toward a window and after mega projects, I

discovered I couldn't see the blade.Reversed it with window behind me

and it is like night and day...

I agree with Paul... Make a base with the date. Although, with the wedding in May, you could just make another one with the date and see which looks better.

I love the look of your project. Great job on the design. Ain't Inkscape fun?

Edited by Dan

Absolutely perfect. Step away from the saw and step away from your pyrography eqipment. DO NOT TOUCH IT. I am sure they will remember their perfect day and date without it being added. You did a marvelous job on the pattern and the cutting. Well done.

Marg

Well, I guess you got your answer on adding a date to it. 100 percent "no's". Your design is really nice and you did a fabulous job cutting it. I would be for a backer board. One thing that i like to do is lay my cut piece on another board and then lay a small washer next to the outside edge and place a pencil inside the washer. While holding the plaque firmly to the board, trace around the outside of your plaque and this will leave you with a perfectly spaced, overlapping line. Cut on the line and  paint or stain the desired color on the new board and then glue the plaque onto the backer board. This way  you do not need to have a frame, as this will create a sort of framing for you. Also you will not have to worry that the backer board in not in perfect alignment with your piece. so it is easier to work with too. By having the backer board attached you also have something to for your wall hanger to attach. Be careful that the screws or nails you use to attach your hanger will not go through your backer board. If they will go through, then use super glue or hot glue to put the hanger on the back board.  Just one more idea

Dick

heppnerguy

I'm humbled.. :cool:  Thank you all for your positive comments and suggestions.. 

The verdict is in (based on your replies) - No burning necessary !!!  I do like the idea of a base with the date - thanks Paul... :thumbs:  I'll be working on that today (if I can) and will post the final product soon..

Showed my Wife when she got home from work - she cried.. (I think the reality of her little girl getting married is setting in the closer and closer we get to the date !!)

I agree with Paul... Make a base with the date. Although, with the wedding in May, you could just make another one with the date and see which looks better.

I love the look of your project. Great job on the design. Ain't Inkscape fun?

Hi Dan - Yes it is !! And I found it thanks to this Community.. For any of the newbies that want a program to use for design work, INKSCAPE is one of the ways to go.. 

Ok so my daughter is getting married in May and I wanted to do a little something for her and her fiance' for their fireplace - their initials in hearts. I designed this last night using Inkscape. It's about 9" long and 8" high.. 1/2" thick. 

There is no background to it (the red is the wall)  and debating on whether or not I want to put a base on it. Perhaps I'll make it so they can use the base if they want or not use it and hang it up..

I was going to scroll their wedding date along the bottom but I chickened out. Didn't want to take a chance on messing it up..   :)    Perhaps I'll "burn" the date in - dunno yet.. 

File this next tidbit under "Interesting" (Well - to me, anyway..)

While I was working on this piece, the bulb blew out in my workshop and there I was in the dark, with only the saw lamp on.. After I said a few mumbling words under my breath (OK - maybe NOT so much under my breath), I noticed that I can actually see the lines and my cuts much clearer with the light out.. So I didn't replace the bulb until after I was done.

Dunno - maybe it made me concentrate more on the piece and where I was cutting but from now on, I guess I'll be working with the light off and only using the saw lamp !!  :shock:  :thumbs:

I like this one a lot!