Attention Porter Cable Scroll Saw Owners

Dave Monk

I bought a Porter Cable Scroll saw from Lowe's about a month ago.  I was really disappointed in it. Maybe I expected too much from a low end saw.  To me there is no excuse for a bad design when a couple of dollars can fix it. Maybe I get frustrated to easy..... Anyway, after speaking with Porter Cable Customer Service I decided to return it and get my money back.  The plate that came with the saw that surrounded the blade sat too low.  It was a challenge to tighten the bottom wing nut on the blade clamp.  I think I ruined as many blades as I got put in. I made a plate and a wrench for the wing nut that I have no use for and I would be happy to share with anyone that might want them.

I have become totally obsessed with scrolling and pattern making in a short time.....now I have the challenge of deciding on a new saw. dave

post-28878-0-50239600-1454022581_thumb.jpg

Dave

I hsave this saw. It is a back up saw for me. Had the same issues, made a zero clearance plate from a playing card. Replaced the wing nuts with allen head bolts. Sure needed a wrench to tighten but that saw lasted me for a good while. I run an EX-21 now. If your looking for a saw, the Dewalts are worth looking at. About 1/2 the price of the Ex. 

I bought a Porter Cable Scroll saw from Lowe's about a month ago.  I was really disappointed in it. Maybe I expected too much from a low end saw.  To me there is no excuse for a bad design when a couple of dollars can fix it. Maybe I get frustrated to easy..... Anyway, after speaking with Porter Cable Customer Service I decided to return it and get my money back.  The plate that came with the saw that surrounded the blade sat too low.  It was a challenge to tighten the bottom wing nut on the blade clamp.  I think I ruined as many blades as I got put in. I made a plate and a wrench for the wing nut that I have no use for and I would be happy to share with anyone that might want them.

I have become totally obsessed with scrolling and pattern making in a short time.....now I have the challenge of deciding on a new saw. dave

Dave. Same issues here with the same saw. Somewhere down the line I see a DW778 in my future but it'll have to wait. I'll make due with the Porter Cable issues for now . BTW I hate it when the piece gets hung up because the plate is not even..

I have used the EX-21 extensively, but don't own one. I have the Dewalt. I would buy the EX-21 over the Dewalt in a minute, if I could justify the cost. It is definitely a better saw. But my Dewalt works just great. I've never had a problem with it. And for 1/2 the cost of the EX it fits my needs perfectly. I've owned it for 8 or 9 years, even packed it around in the back of the truck for 3 years when I full-timed in an RV.

I made a new puck for the center of the table too, and it helps with the vibration of the piece being worked on. The factory one was low and sagging in the middle.  Once I got used to the blade change method I have no problems with it.  My only complaint is the fixed upper arm and feeding the blade into the work.  But I agree another machine in the future, 788 or Ex, depending on what shows first in craigslist, until I save "my pennies and dimes" as the old beach boys song said.

:)

Wood Crafters has the DeWalt on sale with the stand and light for $499. Right now.. Just a thought

Dick

heppnerguy

Hi Dick.. Where did you see this ? (Looks like Dave and I might be interested at that price).. I checked their site just now and they have them listed at:

* Saw - 570 (amazon has it for 495)

* Stand - 90 (amazon has it for 68)

* Light - 40 (amazon has it for 27)

Amazon price for all three: $ 590 (free shipping with Prime membership)

Didn't see any special packages on Woodcraft although they are running a "Free Shipping" special on all orders over 175. If they do indeed have a special on all three for 500 (with free shipping), I just might have to bite the bullet..  :thumbs:

Dave, it never ceases to amaze me how dumb some tool manufacturers can be.   Some of the small deficiencies  in their products could be eliminated by just having the people that use the tool do the testing for them.   A flush mount table insert isn't rocket science.   Any scroll saw owner operator could determine a issue immediately.  

As for what scroll saw I would suggest, if possible take some for a test drive.   The best question to ask a scroll saw owner is what they don't like about the current saw they own but,I wouldn't put to much stock in what some scroll saw owners say about the saws they own because,I think some tend to defend their saws because it reflects on a decision they made that might not have been the right one.   I own a Hegner Multi-Max 22V that I have some issues that could be easily corrected by Hegner, so even high priced saws have some design flaws.

You can look at my review (in the scroll saw reviews on this forum) and see what I mean.   Good Luck!                

Hi Dick.. Where did you see this ? (Looks like Dave and I might be interested at that price).. I checked their site just now and they have them listed at:

* Saw - 570 (amazon has it for 495)

* Stand - 90 (amazon has it for 68)

* Light - 40 (amazon has it for 27)

Amazon price for all three: $ 590 (free shipping with Prime membership)

Didn't see any special packages on Woodcraft although they are running a "Free Shipping" special on all orders over 175. If they do indeed have a special on all three for 500 (with free shipping), I just might have to bite the bullet..  :thumbs:

This is in their new flier that I received a couple of days ago. I have included photos from the same flier for you. I did make an error in my post as I see now that the light is not included in the offer, however, everyone says the light is worthless and if they do buy it with the saw, soon take it off and throw it away

Dick

post-2238-0-48164500-1454094208_thumb.jpg

post-2238-0-33879500-1454094245_thumb.jpg

This is in their new flier that I received a couple of days ago. I have included photos from the same flier for you. I did make an error in my post as I see now that the light is not included in the offer, however, everyone says the light is worthless and if they do buy it with the saw, soon take it off and throw it away

Dick

Hi Dick.. Thank you.. So the ad was in a flyer and not online.. I see.. Perhaps that's a special discount for folks that receive their flyer only. Seems their flyer and website are a bit off from each other.. Is there some kind of "catalog code" listed anywhere that we can put in the order form to get that price ?

Don't mean to be a pain but if we can save a few bucks, it'll help !!

Thank you again..

I had a porter cable and had the same problems i also made a new plate and it lasted 13 months and then every thing append i tor it apart and saw a piece om fettle in it saw so I thru it in the garbage and bought a  Dewalt 788 The porter Cable should be priced at about $79 

Hi Dick.. Thank you.. So the ad was in a flyer and not online.. I see.. Perhaps that's a special discount for folks that receive their flyer only. Seems their flyer and website are a bit off from each other.. Is there some kind of "catalog code" listed anywhere that we can put in the order form to get that price ?

Don't mean to be a pain but if we can save a few bucks, it'll help !!

Thank you again..

there is a  number of         0031207326522     0312PORT

This is sent to me because I occasionally buy from the Portland store.  It states that the prices are good Jan 30 through March 3 only

the Portland store. (really in the suburbs of 'Tigard')  :spelling is correct on Tigard: The store phone number is   503-684-1428

You may want to contact the web sight and see if they will honor this add. If not you might call the store. the main office is in  West Virginia so it is way closer to you than Portland for shipping. I do not know if the Tigard store does free shipping at any price number. you would have to ask that. don't forget that we are 2 hours behind you. I also know they are open on Saturday from 9 to 6 and Sunday from 9 to 5. weekdays 9 to 7.

Hope this helps...  

Dick

heppnerguy