Newest Shell made out of Baltic Birch Ply

britetomro

Many thanks to all for their great comments. This would be 5th Scroll Saw Shell and I am presently cutting another out of Baltic Birch Ply. It may be a bit larger than the last. In answer to Zen, their really is no pattern available for these shells. I will however give credit to a gent by the name of Steve Garrison. I purchased an ebook a few years back which he had available and I read it but never got started with these projects. It was always on the back of my mind though. About Sept. last year I found on Facebook account devoted to these Shells created by Steve. I also found on Youtube a few videos on the making of the Shells. I put 2 and 2 together and began making the Shells. I would encourage all to check these two sites and to also consider the available ebook. The ebook and videos are great tools used in the creation of these different pieces of art. They are a lot of fun and take one heck of a lot of sanding but the results are well worth the prize. I was the guest speaker with our Scroll Saw Association a couple of weeks ago and provided information to our members in creating their own Shells. We created a challenge to our members to see who may step up and bring their examples to our meeting next month. Again thanks for looking and I always enjoy the comments.

This is the latest addition to my Scroll Saw Shell collection. I was curious what would happen when you began with larger pieces for the wedges. This one is made from 1/2" Baltic Birch Ply. I cut the material to 6.5 x 10" pieces. I then stack glued 4 1/2" pieces together to create my board for the wedges. I glued 3 sets of these. I then trimmed the edges square after the glue dried and then cut the wedges. Of the 6 available wedges I used 5 for this shell which produced 61 segments as shown in the photos. Thought I would include various stages of the cut and glue process. I used wedge 6 for the stand which still needs finish applied. I used a gloss Tung Oil finish and presently have 4 coats and will continue for another 2-4 coats. The overall measurement is 9.5" wide by 9.5 tall. Thanks for viewing.

Incredible creation in wood!You are good!