Humming Bird

Dave Monk

This is my third project.  My wife and I love and feed Humming Birds in the summer.  I found this pattern from Sheila Landry  and thought my wife might like it.  I made it out of maple with a Luan back. The pattern called for a back, does it really need one? I loved making it.  A friend of my wife saw it an asked me how much I would charge her to make one. I have never been around any scroll saw work so I have no idea what something like this would be worth. Any ideas on pricing would be appreciated. dave

post-28878-0-74762100-1454201646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dave Monk

Yup, beautiful work! I could sell that for $35 at most of the shows I do.

I do not base price on time I have in a piece. I base my prices on what I think it would sell for.

I was setting out items at a show one time when I thought this item was priced to low. I raised the price by about 20%. I sold all 4 that I had. I hadn't sold any at the lower price.

So, don't under sell yourself!

Dave, you did a masterful job of cutting and assembling this item. As for the backing,personally, I don't like being able to see through cuttings like this one. Otherwise, the background colors won't match the wood colors, and that takes away from the image. If you don't think it needs a backer, did you check to see what it looked like up against the wall without a backer? That is what I'd suggest you do next time, then there will be no doubt if one is needed or not. To sell something like this, I would charge $35.00 at the market. But, if it's a friend that wants to purchase it, then I will work on my price a bit.

Len

This is my third project.  My wife and I love and feed Humming Birds in the summer.  I found this pattern from Sheila Landry  and thought my wife might like it.  I made it out of maple with a Luan back. The pattern called for a back, does it really need one? I loved making it.  A friend of my wife saw it an asked me how much I would charge her to make one. I have never been around any scroll saw work so I have no idea what something like this would be worth. Any ideas on pricing would be appreciated. dave

Lovely job