signs with woodart in woodart

ed martin

I cut an oval, horizontal slot on all my hangings in the backer.  Glue the front on so that the slot doesn't show.  Two advantages:

1.  The piece hangs flat against the wall.

2.  Tooth hangers will often not have the teeth on the correct place.  With the slot method, you have infinite side to side adjustment, to get the piece to hang straight.

jerry

I have used saw toothed hangers and they work fine. Like Jerry said, you need to balance the wood to make sure it hangs properly. The last batch I made I used eye-screws on the top and hemp to hang it. 

Oh yeah, if you use the saw-toothed hangers also put the little rubber stick-on bumpers on the back. It will help keep it even against the wall and help hold it level.

I cut a slot with a keyhole bit like Roly showed, but on a router table. I set up stop blocks on either side of my fence to align marks I have made on my blank. Raise the bit to desired hight. Adjust the fence for the distance from the top of the blank you want the slot. I align the blank against one stop block, raised above the bit, then lower the blank to the table. I stop the router waiting for the bit to come to a complete stop. Then lift the blank off the table and move the blank against the other stop block carefully lowering the blank over the running bit. Once the second hole is cut, carefully move the blank against the fence to the next stop block. Turn of the router till it comes to a complete stop, then lift the blank off. You now have a slot with a screw hole on either side.

If I have time this weekend, I'll take some pictures with a tutorial on how to do this.

I have been using the 3m Velcro strips. They hold plenty of weight for the pieces I cut and they let me hang at just the right angle, not necessary the angle it wants to hang at. 

On framed pieces I use framing wire strung across between two eye hooks. saves me from having to measure perfectly to get the saw tooth in exactly the right place.

Edited by MrsN