Viking II

Scrappile

I'm really like this one, and accomplished some things doing it.  First, I saw a cutting of this pattern on FaceBook at the "Scroll Saw Pattern Cafe".  It was done by Roger Eriksson who is in Sweden.  I wrote to Mr Eriksson and asked if the pattern was available.  Took several day and messages to get an understanding of what I was asking and what he was responding, but in the end he sent me the pattern.  HOW GREAT IS THAT??

Anyway, it is not a real detailed pattern, so I decided I was going to do it with flat blades, and on my Hegner, (neither of which I get along with very well).  This is the result, and I do not feel bad about it.  It is the first picture I have done on the Hegner, and the second picture I have done with flat blades.  So, not perfect but not bad. 

What I learned is, the Hegner is not the greatest scroll saw for portrait type work.  Especially if it more detailed that this.  Flat blades burn easier than spiral blades, but cut cleaner.  Spirals are easier for me to use, but require more clean up after cutting is done.  I like spirals best for portrait work..... I know now I start getting all those hate responses...... :lol:

post-22608-0-33926300-1454967165_thumb.jpg

Looks great to me and can't understand why flat blades would not be good for this.  All I use is flat blades and love them.  Would enjoy using and learning spiral blades so I could do some larger pieces that would need to be turned with a flat blade but you seem to not need to with spirals.  We all use what we are comfortable with and have fun.  Thanks for sharing this work with us and really like the way you framed it.

jim

penquin

Yes this is an awesome patern Paul and I agree with others you've done a fabulous job cutting. I'm the opposite when cutting portraits. I only use flat blades. Probably because I feel spirals are a special purpose blade. Everyone has their own comfort zone and I difinitely have mine ... Lol

Edited by Ron Johnson

Get Paul, I sure am glad you decided to stick with your idea of NOT posting the pattern you were cutting with the flat blades. I would have not enjoyed seeing the mess I know you would have come out with.. ;)  ;)  ;)  ;)

Seriously, I knew it would be another master piece, You could probably have painted the church ceiling that Michael Angelo painted, had you been into painting instead of scrolling, and I bet you could have done them with your eyes closed

Dick

heppnerguy

First, think you all for the very nice responses.  They are really appreciated.

Wow Paul, what an amazing piece, do you know if this pattern is going to be made available to purchase anywhere? 

Len

Len, I do not know if this pattern is available to purchase.  I was trying to find out from Mr. Roger Eriksson but it is difficult to communicate in different languages, even with the translator software.   You could give it attempt by contacting him on Facebook.  I hesitate to give out the pattern because I do not know if him giving it to me gives me that permission.   I did try to explain to him that I had no intent on selling my work, or the pattern.  I don't even really know if it is his pattern.  Copyright laws are different in different countries.  Some countries are very liberal about it.

I have looked at this post a few times over the last couple of days and before I have had chance to post anything either the phone's rung or there's been someone at the door, so when I just clicked on it I sat and waited but no all is good today.   :roll:;):lol:

You have done a fantastic job on this piece Paul.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:  I love flat blades and there is not as much sanding as with spirals.  Well done Paul and keep on practicing. 

Marg

I'm really like this one, and accomplished some things doing it.  First, I saw a cutting of this pattern on FaceBook at the "Scroll Saw Pattern Cafe".  It was done by Roger Eriksson who is in Sweden.  I wrote to Mr Eriksson and asked if the pattern was available.  Took several day and messages to get an understanding of what I was asking and what he was responding, but in the end he sent me the pattern.  HOW GREAT IS THAT??

Anyway, it is not a real detailed pattern, so I decided I was going to do it with flat blades, and on my Hegner, (neither of which I get along with very well).  This is the result, and I do not feel bad about it.  It is the first picture I have done on the Hegner, and the second picture I have done with flat blades.  So, not perfect but not bad. 

What I learned is, the Hegner is not the greatest scroll saw for portrait type work.  Especially if it more detailed that this.  Flat blades burn easier than spiral blades, but cut cleaner.  Spirals are easier for me to use, but require more clean up after cutting is done.  I like spirals best for portrait work..... I know now I start getting all those hate responses...... :lol:

Great looking cutting you did!