SCROLL SAW----FEEDING FROM TOP OR BOTTOM?

danny

Just LOVE being a part of this Scrolling Family....  Actually I have been Scrolling for lots of years.  Starting with LOWES

Cheap models and working up to the saw I use now....HEGNER 18"   Great saw.  Just started thinking about TOP FEEDING

as compared to the ONLY WAY I KNOW ..bottom feeding.. 

So the saw I have been looking at is 

Delta 40-694 Heavy-Duty 20" Variable-Speed Scroll Saw NEW

Need to INVESTIGATE the Pros to the Cons before deciding to buy.  DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THIS ONE IS..GREAT.. WITH TOP FEEDING??

Thanks for all your Advice and Help....  Danny  :+}

In regards to the saw in question. I took a look at it from you link. I have never seen the saw in person but what I would be concerned about on this saw is what ever the mechanism is on the left side of the saw. it looks to me like it would become a restriction on large pieces. Other than that, it sure looks good to me

Dick

heppnerguy

Just LOVE being a part of this Scrolling Family....  Actually I have been Scrolling for lots of years.  Starting with LOWES

Cheap models and working up to the saw I use now....HEGNER 18"   Great saw.  Just started thinking about TOP FEEDING

as compared to the ONLY WAY I KNOW ..bottom feeding.. 

So the saw I have been looking at is 

Delta 40-694 Heavy-Duty 20" Variable-Speed Scroll Saw NEW

Need to INVESTIGATE the Pros to the Cons before deciding to buy.  DON'T EVEN KNOW IF THIS ONE IS..GREAT.. WITH TOP FEEDING??

Thanks for all your Advice and Help....  Danny  :+}

Danny, I have the 40-694 and a 40-690. I consider both great saws. I've had the 40-690 for 8 maybe 10 years,

The 40-694 I bought about a year ago. I consider them a good choice.

PS: There's no restriction on the left side, Dick is looking at a scewed view. 

It has a 20" cut depth.

Edited by LarryEA

Grampa Jim....You convinced me pretty much about TOP FEEDING.  Me also run into Portraits or other that has a zillion holes

and I find it difficult sometimes to find that hole to feed the blade FROM THE BOTTOM....

WANT TO SINCERELY THANK ..EVERYONE.. FOR THEIR COMMENTS.  Yes....Love our Scrolling Family.   

NOW TO DECIDE ON THAT....RANDY.... MENTIONED.....OR.....   Is there others that are fairly easy to SECURE the blade on the BOTTOM?

Thanks....  Danny  :+}

HI EVERYONE....  I JUST DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FEEDING THE BLADE THRU THE TOP.

SEEMS WOULD BE HARD TO CONNECT THE BOTTOM OF THE BLADE TO THE HOLDER ALL THE TIME?

I AM INTO A POSITION OF WANTING ANOTHER SAW.  WHAT IS THE PROS AND CONS OF THIS PLEASE.  ??

THANKS FOR ANY INFORMATION ON THIS SUBJECT.               Danny  :+}

Of the more than 12 saws i've used bottom feeding works for me best

When I started scroll sawing I didn't even think about trying to put the blade in from the bottom.  It seemed to make sense to put the blade in the top were you can see the hole.  I trained myself to just felt under the table at the clamp an place the blade into the clamp without looking or even thinking about what I am doing.  Tried to bottom feed and couldn't find the hole like I can looking down on it.  Just me.  PS: I have a EX 21

Edited by trackman

I have the Excalibur 21" and like the top feed because it is easier to see the hole I want to cut. It takes a little getting use to putting the blade in the bottom but you soon get the hang of it. With the bottom set screw set into the slot, I just push the blade in on the side it is on until i feel it hit the screw and then move it to the right ( setscrew on the left side) and push it all the way in and tighten wing nut screw.

Allen

I can understand everyone's points on both top & bottom feeding as a preference, to me anyway. I choose not to top feed because I do a lot of fret work & I just feed the blade up through the work piece without looking. The drill holes are usually so close together that all I have to do is lift the piece & move the blade over to another hole. There are some times when I can't find the hole, because the hole isn't open enough, but, I manage. Just a preference.  Thanks

I have been bottom feeding for over 25 years. When you scroll saw with one of those old saws that have the pull up spring to raise the blade you pretty much have to bottom feed. I can top feed, and I do it on projects where it seems to work best, but I seem to prefer bottom feeding, even on my newer saws. If I have any trouble seeing the holes when bottom feeding I have an old convex 3" diameter mirror, that was originally a wide angle mirror add-on for a truck side mirror, that I put on the saw table. It enlarges the view of the holes and makes blade threading much easier. A light sanding of the bottom of the work removes any chipping than might obscure holes, but I also keep a pin vise with a small drill bit handy for clearing any hole that I have difficulty with.

Charley