Scrollsaw

Around the corner

Just. Quick question about the Dewalt 788 scrollsaw. How often should a person grease the roller bearings inside and with what type of grease. Maybe somebody hAs already asked and I missed it sorry just curious. Damian

I had a wore out saw ,dw788 2 years ago . greased all the bearing i could grease but two ,they needed to be pressed out with a new bearing.I didn't do it because i hate done time and i might break something trying.But i got 2 years of heavy heavy use from the grease. ?The bearings i didn't grease caused to much wear and finally it kept breaking blades.Harbor freight wants $39.00 for the bearing press.So i would say repack the bearings as soon as you get your saw and enjoy years of trouble free heavy srolling in 3/4 " plywood.

Yes Damian, you can use wheel bearing grease. But, if they're sealed bearings, I don't know what good greasing them will be. If you are greasing the saw to tighten things up, use the heaviest grease you can find. Years ago when I was trucking, I used a special grease on my equipment. It was a product put out by Lucas Oil, it's called Red n Tacky #2. It's a great product and it does stiffen things up as well as it lubricates, plus it's not expensive.

Len

I agree with Scott,

I use a synthetic grease as well, but you can't just wipe the grease on the outside of the bearings in the DeWalt and expect the bearing to see any of the grease. You have to remove the sleeve from the center of the bearing and then wipe the inside of the bearing hole with the grease. I use a Q-tip or similar to apply it. Then replace the sleeve and bolt and go to the next bearing and do the same.

Charley