how do, i make hardwood dowel ring holders 3" long tapered?

I need lots of these,like 20 .I was dreaming of using a router on an angle and turn the dowel my hand in a jig to get the right angle every time?I don't have a lathe.harbor freight has one for about a hundred but no attachment like i need to do this job.any suggestions will help.Only an 1.5" of it needs to be tapered to a blunt point.

Edited by amazingkevin

Do you have a disk sander? I think you could clamp a guide to the table at the correct angle, then take an extra long piece of the dowel turning by hand and shape the taper. Finally cut to 3" and start again. I don't think they'd be identical but.... Another approach would require making a jig to hold a sharp plane iron or chisel. You could feed a dowel in by hand - kind of like a pencil sharpener. More work by I'm sure it would be fun.

Just a couple of thoughts, let us know how it goes of post again so we can help. 

I would be really tempted to get a lathe. 

I like the sander method. You would need to start with a piece longer then you need so you have a handle.

Another option might be to make a pattern for a 3-d compound cut with a scroll saw. You would end up with square edges (like an elongated pyramid) but you could sand from there (or convince the buyer that the geometric square edges are cool)

I would be really tempted to get a lathe. 

I like the sander method. You would need to start with a piece longer then you need so you have a handle.

Another option might be to make a pattern for a 3-d compound cut with a scroll saw. You would end up with square edges (like an elongated pyramid) but you could sand from there (or convince the buyer that the geometric square edges are cool)

Square edges ,Now that' s a thought and all done with the scroll saw no danger! Thanks MrsN

Do you have a disk sander? I think you could clamp a guide to the table at the correct angle, then take an extra long piece of the dowel turning by hand and shape the taper. Finally cut to 3" and start again. I don't think they'd be identical but.... Another approach would require making a jig to hold a sharp plane iron or chisel. You could feed a dowel in by hand - kind of like a pencil sharpener. More work by I'm sure it would be fun.

Just a couple of thoughts, let us know how it goes of post again so we can help. 

Ah Yes ,more work but i need to get er done one way or another! Thanks oldhudson!

A lathe is obviously the best tool for the job.  You could rig up a little pole lathe with a couple of bits of 4x2 for the head and tail stocks with a nail for the centres and a couple of timbers to make the bed.  Fix the timbers to the tail stock but just use a clamp to fix them to the headstock once you have inserted the timber to be worked on.  Wrap a cord around the work and use a bungy cord suspended from overhead to provide the return spring and a treadle to provide the forward rotation.  

Something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZKWtzp5Kgk

Rob

A lathe is obviously the best tool for the job.  You could rig up a little pole lathe with a couple of bits of 4x2 for the head and tail stocks with a nail for the centres and a couple of timbers to make the bed.  Fix the timbers to the tail stock but just use a clamp to fix them to the headstock once you have inserted the timber to be worked on.  Wrap a cord around the work and use a bungy cord suspended from overhead to provide the return spring and a treadle to provide the forward rotation.  

Something like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZKWtzp5Kgk

Rob

Nice find Rob!

It would help me if you made a sketch. I am having a hard time knowing exactly what you need.

You need a dowel 3" long with the last 1.5" tapered. How large is the starting dowel and what diameter tapered down to?

5/8 dowel 3" long tapered to a point the last 1.5" I't's just something that holds various sized rings one at a time in a stand of about 20 holespost-1607-0-89513700-1456958357_thumb.jpg the clear plastic triangle is the top of the dowel that sits into the holes on the wooden box

Kevin,

Have you ever watched any Izzy Swan videos on Youtube? He has made a very clever jig for making round legs with tapers on his table saw, and a smaller version of it might work for you. He has also made a round bowl and hollowed out the inside of it with his table saw.

I think a smaller version of this jig would do what you need.

For a longer taper than the blade curve will give you, just raise or lower the tail end stock pin. He has built many other similar jigs, so if this one doesn't work for you, look at some of his other jigs. He lives in Columbia, SC so he's almost a neighbor of yours too.

Charley 

Kevin

Before I got my lathe, I used to mount the blank in my drill press. Worked for smaller jobs. Have also seen folks use a hand drill mounted in a holder. Just a thought for you my friend.

Unbelieveable the ways a person can do a job! Thank you Wayne,You know usually the answer to some thing is right under our nose,case in point !!