Saw Table

Dan

I just read about someone having their scroll saw table Teflon coated. It cost them $25 ten years ago and he says he never has issues and never has to wax it. Sounds like a pretty slick idea, pun intended. Has anyone looked into this? Inquiring minds want to know.

I think the hardest part would be finding a place that does it.  You would have to ship your table top, both ways if it is not close by, which would really add to the cost.  I think it would be a nice finish though, just probably cost prohibitive.   You can purchase spray cans of Teflon lubricant that may be good to use instead of wax.  I have never tried it.  I saw where Amazon wants over $25 for a can of it and most other places I saw it, it was around $13.

I use the spray on teflon on all of my saw surfaces, it's easy to apply and it works great. I use it on all metal surfaces, including my lathe and drill press. It works great for preventing rust also, or at least I think it is as none of my equipment has ever shown any rust.

Len

I just read about someone having their scroll saw table Teflon coated. It cost them $25 ten years ago and he says he never has issues and never has to wax it. Sounds like a pretty slick idea, pun intended. Has anyone looked into this? Inquiring minds want to know.

Sounds good Dan but i'll stick to my formica covered table,contact cemented on mine! No problems years now and still slick as day one!

• 2 months later...

I got the Teflon a month ago and put three coats on my scroll saw table. It does go create a hazy look of the table. So far, it seems to work well. The work slides nicely and a little air clears all dust and small pieces from the table. The can cost $16 which includes shipping. I may do my band saw table next. There is still plenty left in the can.

It may depend on the table.  On my Dewalt, I would notice, over time, a distinct tendency for the wood to drag as I was moving it across the table.  A little steel wool and an application of paste wax made a huge difference.  I don't use my scrollsaw every day, so I only had to do this a few times a year.  I've been using the same can of Johnson's Paste for as long as I can remember and it will last many more years to come.  The Dewalt table was a casting, with a machined surface.  My EX has what appears to be a solid aluminum table.  There aren't any visible mill marks in the surface.  I'll be interested to see if & how often I need to apply paste wax to it.

Dick,

Try some paste wax on your scroll saw table. Even though you may think you don't need it, "you will be amazed at the difference" that it makes. A fresh coat of wax gets put on my table saw, band saw, miter saw, drill press, sanders, and both scroll saws each day that I will be using them, before I start working.

It also keeps the rust away. Go borrow your wife's can of Johnsons or Butchers wax and try it out. You will be amazed at the difference. I tried some Butchers Wax that was given to me, and it worked OK, maybe a bit better than Johnsons Paste Wax, but I got sticker shock when I went to buy a new can of it, and went back to using Johnsons. I didn't see enough difference to pay the added cost of Butchers. The Johnsons works just fine, and I've been waxing the cast iron and aluminum of my tools and lubricating my tools with it for 60 years. The only place that I'll put any teflon based lubricant is where shafts go through bushings, etc. Gears, ways, slides, and table tops all get Johnsons wax. As a lubricant, it gets a dry crust that keeps the sawdust from sticking and building up. I apply it to these areas with a tooth brush. For table tops and the frame castings I wipe a thin film on with a clean rag, let it haze, and then buff it off. It will take about 3 applications to get a good starting layer, then just an additional coat before use. Of course, I don't do the gears and ways that often. They get the treatment about every 3-6 months depending on how much shop time that I've put in.

Charley