LED lighting

DWSUDEKUM

A while back we had on several boards I go to a discussion on lights used for our saws.  I have been using LED lights for years now.  I really like them as they 

1) Do not generate burning heat 

2) Are very bright

3) Are not affected by vibrations 

4) The last a LONG LONG time ( 3 - 15 years )

5) They come in both the E27 base ( regular light bulb ) and the E14 base ( the night light size base )

Cons 

They are relatively expensive - about $5.30 a bulb.

Here is a link to one site I found that carries them.  This site is a direct from China site so if you order from them it will be shipped from China.  Walmart and Newegg used to carry a similar bulb but they stopped carrying them for what ever reason.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-E27-5W-Warm-White-3528-93-SMD-LED-Home-Energy-Saving-Spot-Light-p-60835.html

LEDLIGHT.jpg

DW

A while back we had on several boards I go to a discussion on lights used for our saws.  I have been using LED lights for years now.  I really like them as they 

1) Do not generate burning heat 

2) Are very bright

3) Are not affected by vibrations 

4) The last a LONG LONG time ( 3 - 15 years )

5) They come in both the E27 base ( regular light bulb ) and the E14 base ( the night light size base )

Cons 

They are relatively expensive - about $5.30 a bulb.

Here is a link to one site I found that carries them.  This site is a direct from China site so if you order from them it will be shipped from China.  Walmart and Newegg used to carry a similar bulb but they stopped carrying them for what ever reason.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-E27-5W-Warm-White-3528-93-SMD-LED-Home-Energy-Saving-Spot-Light-p-60835.html

LEDLIGHT.jpg

DW

these are 5 watt ,Like a refrigerator bulb,I like 150 watt myself.Thanks for the heads up!

I am slowly replacing CFL bulbs with LED bulbs throughout the house. I just bought a 4-foot LED shop light for, well, my shop. I love it. It cost $35 but it sure is bright. It's only 40 watts but puts out bright white light (4500K). My fluorescent shop light bulbs are only lasting a few years. The LED is guaranteed for 15 years.  

Interesting subject. I know they are bright, but are they too bright? I would think if you were cutting thicker material and had it coated with packing tape that the glare would make it hard to see the lines ? I have 2 T5 bulbs above my saw but there are times I wish I had better direct lighting.

This is an interesting point, "...are they too bright?" Just a couple of weeks ago Sam's had a sale on 4' LED shop lights, $35. I replaced two -T-12 units and two T-8's. What a difference!!! This is for general shop lighting not specifically for scroll work. Anyway I used to always have all the lights on. Now I turn one and sometimes two off because they are so bright. I'm not complaining, when I try to lay out work and I'm reading tape measures, setting up tools etc. - all that light is wonderful.  (note: my shop is in a basement so all my light is artificial) 

Wayne,

The lights are ON in the pictures that I posted in that link. Do they look too bright? They aren't quite as bright as the halogen drafting board lights that I was using prior to switching to these LED lights from Lowes, but the light that they provide is whiter and shows the pattern lines better. All I can suggest is that you go to a Lowes store and try out one of these lights. Plug it in and light it up right there in the store. As soon as I went through the lighting section of my local Lowes store and saw one of these lights lit up, I knew that I had to have two of them to replace those halogen drafting board lights on my DeWalt scroll saw.

NC Scroller has recently added them to his saw. Maybe he will reply to this post with his opinions.

Charley

I'm a big LED fan and like Dan replacing other light fixtures with LED slowly.  The first to go was in my stair well to the basement.  Where the light is the ceiling is around 14 ft. up.  Always had to get a latter, maneuver it into the stairwell and dangle up there to change the light bulb.   Every few months.  Last time the bulb went out I replaced the whole fixture with an LED light.  I should never has to change it again, in my remaining lifetime.

I have replaced my magnifier/fluorescent on my scroll saw with one that has real glass for the magnifier and LED light around it.  Big difference for me.  Besides "LED" is so much easier to spell than "fluorescent"!!!

As Charley said I recently replaced my Dewalt factory light with a pair of LEDs.  Charley made me the bracket and I got the lights at my local Lowes.  While it gives the saw a SC-FI look it is amazing how well it lights the table and the work piece.  Also using a light from each side removes all the shadows  which in it's self makes a whole lot of difference.  I typically use clear packing tape over the top of my patterns and glare is not a issue. 

I am hoping some day in the future Charley can design and build a bracket to fit my EX-21 because I would add the LEDs in a heart beat.  I know he is working on it when circumstances allow. 

Walmart and Newegg used to carry a similar bulb but they stopped carrying them for what ever reason.

DW

DW, the reason is likely due to how many times they've been known to catch fire. The picture you posted sure looks a lot like the ones that were banned in Canada, for that very reason.

Len