Making a plaque

Lakelad

I am going to make a plaque for the winner of our fantasy football league. It will be passed from year to year with the new winners name added at the bottom. I am doing a plaque to have a piece of wood thick enough to attach winner names as the years go by. I am thinking of a nice piece of hardwood for the actual plaque and then a scrolled piece to glue to it with. My question is what would you use for the scrolled piece of wood. I want something that the edges are presentable on as they will be visible, not hidden in a frame. I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary,

I have been away for over two yrs and just now getting back into the saw dust and having a ball. Not knowing your design for the plaque I will give you my take on an idea.

I would make the plaque part in the shape of a football and maybe use a light tanish or brown wood. then add the names to it by either small chains or even tied leater. You could use the name slabs in either the same wood as the plaque or in a different wood each yr. If you need a drawing I could do one for you to show you what I have in mind. Hope this helps some.

Pop Moon

Steve I have the design and do intend to hang the winners names from the bottom on a football shape. My question has to do with what type of wood would be best to use for the thin piece I scroll the design into, which will be attached to the larger piece of wood which will serve as the back of the plaque. I intend to make the back about 1/2 inch of a dark wood to show through the scrolled piece. I would normally probably do the scrolled piece in baltic birch but thought it might look better on the edges if it was something other than ply. They will be showing. Appreciate your response.

Gary