Mahogany

Docupton

I have been given a beautiful piece of Mahogany 21" x 12" x 1.5" and now I am stumped as to what to do with it. As it is its a gorgeous if large bread board, which would be a waste, so I am open to suggestions. It has a lovely grain and is already sanded, what do you reckon...

I understand where your at Doc. I have a few beautiful exotic pieces I have as well which I'm holding for that special project. Like Wayne suggests, a box of sorts or a bowl. Maybe a jewery box for that special someone or a carved piece. I try to make full use from any beautiful woods so there's no waste, including the sawdust ... Just call me cheap ... Lol

Edited by Ron Johnson

I made two desk name plates with the person's name with their job title underneath. I searched and found a font that looked nice and was "easy" to cut the used mahogany for the base and nameplate. Everyone that saw it like it. I did use boiled linseed oil on wood and coated with clear polyurethane when finished. It was simple yet looked great. I would post a picture but I no longer have them. I used 1/2" mahogany and a dust mask. 

My original piece was a 1/2" X 8" x 8' I bought from a lumber company. It was originally 3/4" but they cut it so I would have two pieces. one approx 1/4" thick and one 1/2" thick. Cost was $33.00, I thought that was a reasonable price and I still have plenty for other projects.

Edited by Stormrider54

I have been given a beautiful piece of Mahogany 21" x 12" x 1.5" and now I am stumped as to what to do with it. As it is its a gorgeous if large bread board, which would be a waste, so I am open to suggestions. It has a lovely grain and is already sanded, what do you reckon...

I know the feeling ,I have so much hard wood and do not want to wast e it on useless things ,Got to be !

Doc, I know what to do with it, set it aside until you have a good use for it. There's no sense in using it, just to use it up. 21"x12"x1.5" is a good sized piece of wood, do you do any carving, or know anyone who does. You could always trade it, for something you need or want. Do you know of anyone, you could get to resaw it for you? If you did that, you would have matched pieces that you could use to compliment each other. Plus, it would be better to use on a scrollsaw at about 3/4"or 7/16" depending on the bandsaw blade kerf.

Len