Advice/Tips for newbie?

So, 
I am currently fooling around more and more with a scroll saw, and enjoying it more then I thought I would.

I was using cheap Fir plywood which I could pick up for 5-10$ at the local hardwood store. After a bunch breaking on me, I have given up and trying to find a new way around.

What would be the best, but not expensive material for someone in my situation to use?

I don't want to go out and buy 100$ sheet, which half of it would most likely go to waste, or screw up on.

I HAVE done some pieces, just some small line works, and understand how it all works.

I do have a bunch of scrap plywood, 3/4 thick, but it seems it might be to thick for what I was planning on doing - Small lettering is tricky!

Any advice on what to pick up?

- Picture attached is what I did and what I am trying to add onto - 

Please be kind :)

post-29314-0-78345200-1457145865_thumb.jpg

Alex, you can use most if not all types of wood to practice with. To tell you what type of wood to use for a certain project, we should know what the project is. For the map you posted, you could always use pine or fir stained the color you want. Other than that, should find a retailer of domestic woods,or, check with any cabinet makers to see what they might have for scraps.

Len

Baltic birch plywood is very popular with scrollers.  Around here a 5'x5' sheet runs about $20-$25 depending on thickness.  Nice thing about it is that even the thin material is very strong.  It's commonly available in thicknesses from 1/8" to 1".  Even thinner and thicker sizes can be had at some specialty dealers or on-line.

So, 

I am currently fooling around more and more with a scroll saw, and enjoying it more then I thought I would.

I was using cheap Fir plywood which I could pick up for 5-10$ at the local hardwood store. After a bunch breaking on me, I have given up and trying to find a new way around.

What would be the best, but not expensive material for someone in my situation to use?

I don't want to go out and buy 100$ sheet, which half of it would most likely go to waste, or screw up on.

I HAVE done some pieces, just some small line works, and understand how it all works.

I do have a bunch of scrap plywood, 3/4 thick, but it seems it might be to thick for what I was planning on doing - Small lettering is tricky!

Any advice on what to pick up?

- Picture attached is what I did and what I am trying to add onto - 

Please be kind :)

Plywood that's been wet falls apart when cut ,i get free wood from the dumpsters and cabinet shops ,bulk pick up ,friends etc.3/4 " plywood will slow down your cutting speed so its a good thing to practice on .thin woods 3/8 1/4 and 1/8 cut very fast so slow your machine down and cut slow while holding the wood down to keep total control of where the blade cuts.you'll fond that one of your fingers acts as a pivot point for all your turns,etc.Fir woods are very soft and fragile .I don't like using them because of breakage.hope this helps! :)

Plywood that's been wet falls apart when cut ,i get free wood from the dumpsters and cabinet shops ,bulk pick up ,friends etc.3/4 " plywood will slow down your cutting speed so its a good thing to practice on .thin woods 3/8 1/4 and 1/8 cut very fast so slow your machine down and cut slow while holding the wood down to keep total control of where the blade cuts.you'll fond that one of your fingers acts as a pivot point for all your turns,etc.Fir woods are very soft and fragile .I don't like using them because of breakage.hope this helps! :)

Thanks, I picked up some thicker 3/4 oak plywood from my parents house, and going to try some practice on them when my new blades come in the mail.

Been using regular tooth blades, from Home depot, but the tear out was ridiculous. So I ordered some Reverse blades online to test them out and see how much of a difference they will make.

Practice is the key I've been told. haha.

I might try the dumpsters or cabinet shops around town - walk in and ask majority? 

I've figured out how to use one hand as a pivot point, but trying to get the technique of  how fast to turn it or how wide/short to make the turns, It all comes with practice, I know that.

Any tips will help - That's for sure!!     :cool:

I buy all of my plywood from Lowes. You can buy a 4 by 8 sheet of birch or maple 1/4" thick for $19. The best part is they will rip it down to 1 foot by 4 foot pieces for free. You can get the same deal at Home Depot. I have used a lot of that plywood and have never had a problem.

Hey Alex,

Sounds like you are using a luan plywood.  This is not made for scrolling because it will always blow out of the back because there is nothing there to hold it in place.  The wood fibers in the back are only held together with glue.  You can still practice with it but you have to support it.  Most saws have a large gap on the table top for the blade,  Try to close it off a bit.  If you can get your hands on X-Ray film cut it in to a rectangle about 2-1/2" by 3-1/2" , drill a small hole in it based on your blade size, thread your bade through it, tighten your blade and tape the film to your saws table.  This adds great support and I have been using this method for years.  Eventually your blade will make the hole bigger so simply change it up for another piece of film.  Also don't forget that blade size and saw speed can affect the your cuttings.  I hope this helps.

TerryD