Our Family Trivet

jerry1939

1.  I am notoriously lazy about posting pictures of my work.

2.  The design & cutting of this is certainly nothing special.

BUT I did learn something.  In the past, before sending a picture of my scrolled item to a friend(s), I didn't consider it "done" until I sprayed a shiny finish on it.  WRONG.  The shine acts as a mirror to the flash and you get a bright spot in the middle of the photo.  This was taken right after the pattern/blue tape was removed.  For those of you nice people that post pictures of your work, give thought to taking the picture BEFORE you apply your finish of choice.

After doing 2 more trivets for siblings, will dip all 3 in BLO & Mineral oil.  Wood is 3/4" poplar.

jerry

post-18973-0-16848700-1457562427_thumb.jpg

1.  I am notoriously lazy about posting pictures of my work.

2.  The design & cutting of this is certainly nothing special.

BUT I did learn something.  In the past, before sending a picture of my scrolled item to a friend(s), I didn't consider it "done" until I sprayed a shiny finish on it.  WRONG.  The shine acts as a mirror to the flash and you get a bright spot in the middle of the photo.  This was taken right after the pattern/blue tape was removed.  For those of you nice people that post pictures of your work, give thought to taking the picture BEFORE you apply your finish of choice.

After doing 2 more trivets for siblings, will dip all 3 in BLO & Mineral oil.  Wood is 3/4" poplar.

jerry

Very balanced and artistic Jerry,BTW thanks for the tip on photography.Whats your ratio of mix +mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil?

Great work Jerry! There are other ways to prevent the flash spot on your pictures. First, don't make it shiny! Personally, I don't like shiny so I use a satin or semi gloss lacquer. It gives a soft but finished look and helps prevent the flash spot.

Second, don't use a flash. Use direct and indirect lighting to illuminate your project. Turn the flash off on your camera and experiment with the lighting.

I am with you though, I am lazy about taking and posting pictures. I have a lot of projects completed but haven't photographed yet. I have a light tent with lights. When I have time, I'm going to set up the tent and photograph projects in one session and then post them.

AmazingKevin,

You asked about the ratio of BLO and MINERAL OIL (not mineral spirits).   A looong time ago I asked on this site about preserving a trivet that is subjected to high heat.

I wouldn't begin to know where to look for the post, but it was late last summer.  Received a number of conflicting responses, but it seemed that slightly more people used BLO and MINERAL OIL (buy it in the pharmacy section.)  (If you look it up, it's a laxative :o   :o )

Because I only did 1 trivet last year & will do 3 this year, I kept the mix, but sure as heck don't remember the ratio.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and help you.  One of our sons uses an untreated piece (I don't know what kind of wood).  You might experiment with whatever species you want, take an untreated scrap & try to ruin it.  If you can't, it doesn't need anything.

As usual, any time you need a little help, let me know.  I'm about as little help as you will ever find.

jerry