DW 788 seized up! Oh oh! Help

Gonzo

I went downstairs this morning and 788 wouldn't run. I checked fuse and power, still nothing. I moved the top blade holder rocker arm and she fired up. Now this evening I was scrolling and the saw siezed up. Rocker arm won't budge at all. (motor is not hot at all). Has this happened to any of you? Is there anyone that can help me?

Gonzo, try unhooking the motor from the rocker arms, then try turning the motor back on to see it it is getting power and if it will run. If the motor runs, then it's a problem with the pivot points or the rocker arms. This might not help, but, it's what I would do to try to solve the problem.

Len

I went downstairs this morning and 788 wouldn't run. I checked fuse and power, still nothing. I moved the top blade holder rocker arm and she fired up. Now this evening I was scrolling and the saw siezed up. Rocker arm won't budge at all. (motor is not hot at all). Has this happened to any of you? Is there anyone that can help me?

The saw is a Type 2. I have no idea how old it is, my guess would be 8-10 years old

Do you use a foot switch? If you don't, it is probably the switch. If you are handy, you can service the switch you're self. The DeWalt switch is prone to this. As a matter of fact, it happened to me just last week. I can help you with instructions to fix it if you need.

Most folks tape over the switch in the on position and use a foot switch ( although I don't ).

Hopefully it will something simple!

Lucky 2,

I'm not sure how much use the machine has. I received it used 3 years ago. I probably average 10 hours a week on it. No I have never had it serviced. Up until now never a need to.

DGman,

Yes I also use a foot switch. And I cover up the on/off switch

One of the issues on the DW788 both type 1 and type 2 is that the motor is totally enclosed.  These motors use carbon brushes that wear.  Depending upon the supplier of the brushes will determine how fast they wear.  When they wear they release fine particles of carbon which build up on the rotor of he motor and can short it out.  I had this issue very much like yours a few years back and I had the motor replaced and this fixed the issue.  Luckily Dewalt has a Guaranteed Repair Price where the repair price will not go over something like $250 or something close to that.  I used this program and had them do a through overhaul when they replaced the motor.  You might wish to go to http://www.dewalt.com/Find-Service-Center-Results.aspx and see if there is a repair center near you.  

DW

Thank you to Lucky2, dgman, and DWSUDEKEM for your input. I was able to take saw apart tonight. Rocker arms moved just fine using my hand, but still wouldn't turn on. So I checked fuse again and it was fried. I put in another fuse and that one blew right away. Put ANOTHER fuse in and that blew (definition of insanity, right?)

I was able to take brushes out, and a little bit of carbon dust came out also. Brushes look fine. So, as DWSUDEKEM says it could be the motor is shot. I tried to take motor off but couldnt get the nut loose on the inside and I darn near broke the counterweight trying to loosen nut. I'm stuck and in a quandary. Any other suggestions? DeWalt Service Center said $260.00 max to fix. I wouldn't get saw for minimum 4 weeks. Or, get a new 788 for 449.00 at Home Depot. Or.... An EX16 for $599.00. By the way, the saw is 10 years old, a type 2, and it's been used heavily.

Gonzo, buying a new saw might just be the answer, and if you can afford it, I think you'd be better off purchasing an EX21. When I upgraded I bought the EX21, that was about 7 years ago. It is a real pleasure to use, and it's never given me any problems. 

Len

Here's the latest. I took the saw completely apart. I checked the brushes on the motor, they were good. I then took the motor apart. Quite a bit of carbon dust fell out. I polished the armature and cleaned every thing up. Re-assembled the motor, plugged it in, and turned it on. Fuse blew right away. So I thought it was the computer board. I then replaced that board with one from an old Type 1 that I just received. Fuse still blew. I give up. Time for a new saw, but I will save that for a new post.

By the way, the Type1 that I just picked up is an old rattle trap that does run. Maybe I should combine the two and make one good one. This has been a good learning experience for me and a lot of fun. I want to thank you all very much for your help!

Thanks again,

Gonzo

Here's the latest. I took the saw completely apart. I checked the brushes on the motor, they were good. I then took the motor apart. Quite a bit of carbon dust fell out. I polished the armature and cleaned every thing up. Re-assembled the motor, plugged it in, and turned it on. Fuse blew right away. So I thought it was the computer board. I then replaced that board with one from an old Type 1 that I just received. Fuse still blew. I give up. Time for a new saw, but I will save that for a new post.

By the way, the Type1 that I just picked up is an old rattle trap that does run. Maybe I should combine the two and make one good one. This has been a good learning experience for me and a lot of fun. I want to thank you all very much for your help!

Thanks again,

Gonzo

Thanks for keeping us informed as to all your trying and doing!

One other test, though it's probably futile, is to leave the motor disconnected, but the rest of the electrical hooked up, and see if the fuse blows. This will determine if the problem is really the motor, or some place else in the circuitry. It would be a shame to put the saw to rest if the problem was just in the power switch or wiring. If the motor is truly bad, then sell the rest as spare parts to someone and get an Excalibur. If the problem is somewhere else in the wiring it may be an easy and cheap fix.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

Thank you all very, very much for your help!! I have tried everything that has been suggested and then some and the saw keeps blowing fuses I have to agree that the windings shorted out. dewalt wants 250 for a new motor. No thanks! So I have given up on the saw. However, I did clean up and tune up the Type 1 that I was telling you all about. Holy cow! That saw runs a heck of a lot better than my type 2 ever did!

The only bad thing is, I now can't justify a new saw. Dang!!!! (we'll see) I'll let ya all know in my EX-16 or EX-21 post if I do anything.

Thanks again, I do appreciate it