Purple Heart

Montserrat

You didn't say what thickness. Purpleheart is another dense and hard wood. 3/4" will be almost as tough as Wenge, and burn marks will show. Use tape ( blue painters tape or clear packing tape ) on both sides of the board. Use a larger blade size, with a slower saw speed. High tension. Let the blade do the cutting. Try not to apply lateral pressure on the blade.

With all these precautions, you should do good on the cutting.

As far as what to make, anything you want!

Purple Heart is a very dense wood and is and will burn easily if your blade is the least bit dull and you do not take the precautions that Dan mentioned.  Purple Heart will darken over time when exposed to light and for your design consideration you have to take that into consideration.  If you are going to make a bowl perhaps using the purple heart as an accent color with something like say hard maple, another hard dense wood but one light in color.  I do not know what tools you have or the size of the piece of wood you have however I have seen things like a 2x4 turned into a ukulele, so you are only limited by your imagination and skills.  I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

DW 

Anytime I use purple heart it is used as an accent. Like stated before, hard, dense and burns easily. As for a project, Try a small box of Maple and use the purple heart to accent it. The colors together look really great once finished. I have also used it in a frame the same way, same outstanding results. Take your time cutting it and follow the other tips above.

I have used Purple heart and as mentioned dense use slow speed and let the blade cut use the tape and go for it. I used one piece about maybe 6x10 inches for a wedding gift to my youngest daughter and her new husband with names and date with man and women in the cut as well and flowers. I have a smaller piece left from that and I made my father a Purple Heart medal for him on the desk he has 2 of his own earned in WWII. He was pleased and did not know there was that type of wood.

• 1 month later...

I made several "Tongue Drum" using Purple heart as the top piece because is created a beautiful sound.  Here is a picture of the only one I have left.  Made several years ago.  I finished it with Tongue Oil and the Purple heart turned a pretty "Cranberry red".  Over the years it has faded some, but still a pretty color.

post-22608-0-00396200-1462804812_thumb.jpgpost-22608-0-81888600-1462804910_thumb.jpg

I made several "Tongue Drum" using Purple heart as the top piece because is created a beautiful sound.  Here is a picture of the only one I have left.  Made several years ago.  I finished it with Tongue Oil and the Purple heart turned a pretty "Cranberry red".  Over the years it has faded some, but still a pretty color.

attachicon.gifIMG_2806.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_2807.jpg

Never heard of a tongue drum, sounds intriguing!