Scroll Saw Blades Help

wvcowboy99

First of all the blades you get at Lowe's and the like are junk. You need to buy good blades like Flying Dutchman or Olson. Breaking blades is normally a sign of to little tension and pushing the wood instead of letting it cut through the wood. Tighten the tense and slow the feed rate.

Check your blade tension. Pull the back of blade and let go when adjusting. You should hear a pinging noise indicating enough tension. As for blade size it all depends thickness and hardness of wood being cut. Guide your wood through and let the blade do the cutting. Sometimes blade clamping may be an issue. Other times quality of blade may be an issue.

Two good quality brands of blades are the Flying Dutchman and Olson. Myself I've only used the Olson brand.

Good advice above; but, they forgot to mention speed of blades strokes adjustment and using a lube  --clear packing tape/ and or a clear wax on the blade itself.  As you cut more you will learn to "read' the saw and adjust as you cut on the blade and feed speeds!

Lowe's etc also GOUGE on the blade cost terribly. A dozen on line and + shipping will probably come to you for the same price you pay for 4 now!

Edited by rjR

Hello Charlie, rate of feed and tension are probably what's giving you problems. Do you know what brand and size of blade, you purchased from Lowe's? How thick is the stock you were attempting to cut, and what type of wood was it? What brand of saw are you using, and how good are the blade clamps? Need answers to these questions, to try to help to solve your issue. For me, when cutting 90* corners, I use the same size blade as I would use to cut out the project. The blade size I use depends on, how thick the wood is. You can't just grab any size blade, and think it's going to cut all thicknesses of stock! I have lots more on say on the topic, but, I would like for you to answer the questions first. Then, I can give you the best answer possible.

Len 

Len,

1.) Bosch was brand.

2.) 11.5 TPI was size.

3.) Was cutting 1/2" thick pine.

http://m.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-12-Pack-5-in-Plain-Scroll-Saw-Blades/3197089

Brand of saw I have get back to you later on that one. About bed time here don't want head back out to wood shop tonight.

Thanks,

Charlie

Edited by wvcowboy99

How do you guys keep from breaking the really small scroll saw blades? I bought some last night at Lowes and was trying to cut something with tight corners. I figured the smaller blade would make the tight corners easy. What size blade do you all use?

this is a problem i had in my beginning days .when your in a turn with small blades the temperature goes to it's highest from added friction in a turn.that is a major cause of blade breakage.Slow way done in the turns and allways keep moving .When cutting coins that is where the blade breaks every time form heat build up.Easy fix ,take your time!Good to see you here ,Keep coming back friend!