trivet

Hi Higg, I've been on a bit of a trivet kick myself lately. I've just been using 3/4 inch pine and the use Lin seed oil on them. I get the wood at the local hardware store. It's the stuff they sell as shelves and such. It's not too pricey and you can get several cuts from one board depending of course what size you get. There are patterns in the library I'm sure or just google trivet and you will get lots. I have decided lately that it isn't really nessessary to go with a more traditional pattern. I have several misc. ones that I think will work well for the less traditional customer. Good luck wth your cutting and show us your work when it's done.

Mark, you can use whatever thickness of wood you want. I've made trivets in the past, and the type of wood I used dictated what thickness to cut at. I've made them out of 1/8" plywood, and I've made them out of 3/4" stock also. They all did what they were meant to, and no table top or table cloth were ever damaged when using them.

Len

I have made a lot of trivets over the years and prefer a 5/8" thickness in hardwood.  I have finished mine with mineral oil.  Just dip and let drip dry then buff out with a brown paper bag.  Have one on my table that has been in use for years with no problems.