I decided I'd get the EX-21

Gonzo

After much consideration, and hemming and hawing, I went out and bought the EX-21 today. I got it all set up and started making dust. At first I didn't like it becase I am used to using the 788. After a few hours of fret work, I have gotten the hang of it and enjoy it. I really Iike the way the arm stays up, the blade tensioner, and the not as aggressive cutting vs the 788.

I do have a couple of complaints about it though. The dust collection port they put on these things is not good for fret work. The little pieces wood get hung up and they have no place to go. I would like to take the darn thing off, but it looks like once it's off, it's off for good. (i have a 30 day return opportunity and am afraid that might void it) Also, the table is warped where they screwed the dust port on. You can actually see the warp. Hopefully, I can get them (the store) to replace the table. Wish me luck!

Congratulations Gonzo.  I also upgraded from a Dewalt to an EX-21 recently.  I'm still on the fence with the dust collection.  It seems to work OK hooked up to my shop vac, but I don't care for all the noise when scrolling, so I haven't used it much.  The little bits getting caught in the holes is a nuisance.  I'm still debating what to do about it. 

Otherwise I'm really liking the EX so far.  The top arm lifts much higher than my Dewalt did, so it gives a lot of extra clearance.  Tensioning is simple and effective.  The saw runs smooth and quiet.  I never had any real complaints with my Dewalt.  I used it for 10 years and it served me well.  But I can see right away that the EX is a big step up and I'm looking forward to scrolling on it for many years.

After much consideration, and hemming and hawing, I went out and bought the EX-21 today. I got it all set up and started making dust. At first I didn't like it becase I am used to using the 788. After a few hours of fret work, I have gotten the hang of it and enjoy it. I really Iike the way the arm stays up, the blade tensioner, and the not as aggressive cutting vs the 788.

I do have a couple of complaints about it though. The dust collection port they put on these things is not good for fret work. The little pieces wood get hung up and they have no place to go. I would like to take the darn thing off, but it looks like once it's off, it's off for good. (i have a 30 day return opportunity and am afraid that might void it) Also, the table is warped where they screwed the dust port on. You can actually see the warp. Hopefully, I can get them (the store) to replace the table. Wish me luck!

an ex3 will do me nicely.Hang in there,soon you'll wonder how you scrolled with out one!

It the table is warped, I suggest you quickly get that taken care of.  If you put it off, and dont' get around to it, you will regret that forever.  That saw is too expensive to settle with a warped table.  Tell them that they can replace the table, or you can return it for a full refund.  If you purchased from Seyco, I don't think you will have any problems getting that fixed.

--------Randy

Edited by hotshot

I am thinking about a ex oribabky a 16 and use my DW 788 for the large cuttings. I have 2 DW788 and will probably sell one when the decision is finally made about 90% of my cutings are well under the 16 table.

Edited by ike

I went and exchanged my saw for a new one. Funny thing is, before I left the store we checked to make sure table was flat. It wasn't! Good thing we checked, they brought out another one and it was fine. Phew!!!! Thank goodness. It was the last one they had. And what a difference a flat table makes (duh! Big smiley face). Looking forward to countless hours of scrolling.

Thanks again to all of you for your opinions and help.

I like my EX21 and I know what you mean about the dust collector. I have a tool with a small ball point that I use to push the plastic down which will get most of the wood chips out. What is hard for me is the suction holds the wood tight and get hard to move.I have even opened the hose on the vacuum for less suction which helps.

Allen