Bench mount Magnifying Lens vs Binocular Magnifying Glasses

RangerJay

Looking for some advice.

Have used a bench mount magnifying lens for about 3 years now - in fact don't turn the scroll saw on without it - but - have always played with adjusting the lens angle and distance from the work - and more importantly noted a level of eye fatigue after a while.  So I am wondering if a set of magnifying glasses/headband would be a better bet.  There seems to be quite a range of prices - and also quite a range magnifying strengths.  I am wondering what others might have used - whether you like it - and what magnifying strength seems to work best.

Thanks,

Jay 

I have a bench mount, but only use it for the light. Not happy with trying to position the lens.

Had a Bausch & Lomb visor that was great, but eventually the lens clouded up. Bought a cheap $17 visor from one of the scroll catalogs. The focal length is shorter, so my nose is closer to the work. Also, the head size adjustment isn't going to last long.

I wouldn't consider sawing without a visor.

1. Get one with no less than a 12" focal length.

2. Don't waste your money on a cheap one.

3. IF indeed you are a "crabby old fart", I'm afraid I can't help you with that !!!!!

jerry

I have used the bench light magnifier for years and put up with the adjusting. I guess I finally got old and set in my ways, it is second natureto me now. I did use a visor from work and this was nice to use except for 2 things 1. you look like Bell's father in Beauty and the Beast, 2. The surgeon whose visor i borrowed needed it back after the week end.

I have two bench mount magnifying/light thingys.  one is florescent the other LED.  The LED on cost more than twice the florescent, but I like it much better.  But i still have to fiddle with adjusting it but I am use to that.  The LED on has glass lenses versa plastic which is a big difference.  I have not tried the head piece thing.  

Thanks lots everyone - sounds like I am in exceptionially  good company - right down to the proud designation of crabby old fart  ......

Think I will likely order a headpiece magnifier as well - maybe just to add my voice to the confusion next time someone asks the same question .....

That is interesting about the LED light - might be a possibility.

Thanks,

Jay