scrolling-sit or stand--chair or stool-lemon oil???

floridagramps

I am just getting started and will buy Dewalt 788. Is buying the Dewalt stand a good idea or do most scrollers prefer to sit in a chair and have scroll saw closer to ground? Appreciate suggestions re scroll saw height and what type chair or stool might be most comfortable.

If mounting scroll saw closer to ground is advisable, I'd also appreciate suggestions on how to minimize vibration and maximize stability

I see Steve Good dipping his finished projects into a lemon oil bath(?) and then it looks like he uses a spray on shellac(?) for final coats. Can someone point me at a vendor for these products.

Suggestions from those of you who have been there and done that much appreciated

If you can afford it, I would go with the stand. The stand is specifically built to reduce vibration and add stability. I think you'll find most scrollers sit while scrolling. Some projects can take hours upon hours to complete. I personally use a folding chair. But I think a padded secretary's chair (without the arms) would work really well. That way you can adjust the height of the chair easily, and it's comfortable.

Steve Good uses a regular lemon oil that you can find at any grocery store. Its located in the dusting/cleaning supply area next to the Old English. Basically, it puts moisture back into your furniture. The oil will bring out the grain of the wood really nice. It doesn't offer much in the way of protection, which is why he coats his projects with a spray-on finish. For the spray finish, you can find that at any place that sells spray paint. I often get both the oil and spray finish at Walmart. I like getting clear acrylic spray finish. It has much less odor than the other stuff. You can choose how glossy you want it. I personally prefer Satin.

I have my saw sitting on top of the workbench it is not the Dewalt it is the hitachi. The bench is about 4 feet tall. Vibration is there as I don't have it mounted but it is not enough for me to worry about. My saw came with a stand but I never put it together so it is just sitting in the attic. I sit on an adjustable stool kinda looks like a barstool. You can see it in this pic here.

http://huhdowhat.com/images/shop/shop3.jpg

It is fine for me but I know of others that sit in a full back chair. I just don't have the room.

I will agree with Travis. If you can afford it get it unless you have a bench or something to mount it to. It will help to get rid of most if not all of the vibration.

Ben

Yes, use the stand. I have a Delta on a stand and there is almost no vibration. I have an old bar stool that I sit on while sawing. I wish the stool was taller or the stand shorter, but it works for me.

I haven't tried lemon oil so I can't help you there. I do use boiled linseed oil (BLO) and it does about the same as lemon oil.

Enjoy you new saw. It's a very popular model and I'm sure you will love it. Be sure to show some pics when you get done.

Dan

i built a stand for my saw out of double stacked 2x4 with a thick top to mount the saw to, almost no vibration when on a level surface. i built it using measurements taken from the chair i planned to use while working so its just the right height for my build. rather comfortable even after a long work session. if interested i can post a picture and the magazine info i found it in.

i built a stand for my saw out of double stacked 2x4 with a thick top to mount the saw to, almost no vibration when on a level surface. i built it using measurements taken from the chair i planned to use while working so its just the right height for my build. rather comfortable even after a long work session. if interested i can post a picture and the magazine info i found it in.

Scrollcat please post the info!

The lemon oil works ok........I really like using danish oil. You can find that at home depot or lowes.

Also I would use the stand! I love mine.

I have my scroll saw on my workbench. I started out standing but as has been mentioned here already sometimes you are standing there for hours till you are done or are done enough for the day. Needless to say my back would ache something terrible. When my back aches my accuracy starts to wavier. So it only took about a week or so to realize I needed something to sit on so I bought a wooden stool it does not look to be comfortable but I can sit on it for hours. The idea here is to be comfortable so you can be relaxed as possible while cutting. Relaxed leads to more accurate cuts.

I have a Ridgid saw and I don't have a stand. Mine is bolted on to an old, very heavy, kitchen table and sitting in the middle of my living room lol. I use a straight back wooden chair and sometimes put a cushion on it. I have back and hip problems and so this is the best type of chair for me. I do wish the chair were taller or the table shorter.......I get fatigued very easily.

I've used Lemon Oil with great results......I love the way it brings out the grain. So far I've only used it on small projects and not bothered with a finish other than that. But if I do, it will most likely be clear spray acrylic.......that's what I like to use the most. Or water based polyurethane if I'm brushing it on.

Christina

I sit on a chair with a back and has wheels to snug up for fine detail.I made arm rests around my saw as the arms get heavy.Arms being suported i,m allways in position to do what i gotta do .Most of the work i love to do involves my fingers ,so the arms and hands lay relaxed as the fingers do all the work.I haven't done but a couple of stained items,as i don't have but a small baby food bottle of mahogony stain.I like to spray clear enamel or clear lacqeur on things.For that extra tough extra shine and rough service like a keychain i use concrete sealer which is crystal clear.Drys too fast so you have to work quick .With the key chains it's tedious as the sealer is allmost like honey and clogs small holes like the insides of o's,a's,d's,b's.For them i use after dipping a used saw blade and run through the holes to squeege out the liquild while they hang on a hook. This all needs to be done while the key ring on it to control it's movements somewhat as you drain and squeege out the excess liquild.Time consumeing but i love what i do and the results are worth it.Little pay lots of fun.

• 6 months later...