Tool question/advice request

I'm about to start on a new fretwork clock that doesn't use tabs to put it together (like the others I've done). The instructions say to glue it, but I'm thinking it needs more support than that, so I thought about a rivet gun. I've never used one so before I go out and buy one, thought I'd better get some advice first. If it is a good idea, can someone tell me what to look for when shopping for it? I normally work with 1/4" - 1/2" wood. Thanks!

Sharon

I would glue it..........

I have never used a riveter for wood.

Rivets are made for metal.

I am a retired sheet metal worker and have used riveters for over fifty years and never found a riveter that did not work.

If you want a rivet gun anyway, a cheap riveter will work well.

If you did use rivets i think the hole for the rivet would have to be two sizes bigger than the rivet.When you squeeze the rivet it expands and would split the wood unless the hole was almost the same size as an expanded rivet.

I'm about to start on a new fretwork clock that doesn't use tabs to put it together (like the others I've done). The instructions say to glue it, but I'm thinking it needs more support than that, so I thought about a rivet gun. I've never used one so before I go out and buy one, thought I'd better get some advice first. If it is a good idea, can someone tell me what to look for when shopping for it? I normally work with 1/4" - 1/2" wood. Thanks!

Sharon

I agree with the others that a PV glue seems be the best option. But don't forget you have to clamp the pieces together for hour or two, while the glue sets up. So think about how you can do that. You may need to purchase some clamps although you can use rubber bands (binders) or even painters tape.

On this clock there were places where I put square "dowels" in some of the corners. That greatly added to the area to apply the glue to. Also, for extra insurance, I put screw eyes on the bottom of the roof(s) and the tops of the base. Ran wires from top to bottom and screwed in the screw eyes further, to tighten the wires.

Hope this gives you ideas Friend,

jerry

post-18973-0-70122200-1461166668_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions! Yes, I use Titebond for everything. I also like the square dowel idea. Good, I don't even like predrilling holes to put hangers on things. Nothing like watching a grown woman having a hissy fit when wood splits after hours of working on something!! Glad I asked the experts, thanks again for sharing.

On this clock there were places where I put square "dowels" in some of the corners. That greatly added to the area to apply the glue to. Also, for extra insurance, I put screw eyes on the bottom of the roof(s) and the tops of the base. Ran wires from top to bottom and screwed in the screw eyes further, to tighten the wires.

Hope this gives you ideas Friend,

jerry

Wow Jerry, that is an amazing structure. 

You will be fine using any good quality wood glue.  If you really want a means of mechanically fastening components of something like a fretwork clock, you might consider a pin nailer.  This is a pneumatic tool that drives very small, headless nails.  Frankly, I don't think it's necessary.  I have a pin nailer, but have never considered using it for that particular application.  Just wanted to toss that suggestion out there.