Question on backing board

laust18

When cutting a backer board, should I be cutting it the same size as my work piece, or just enough to cover the subject matter? and if your backer board is a different color than your cut piece, do you leave the outside edges different colors or do you do something to make them the same color?

I use either a miter saw or a scroll saw to trim my edges, whichever is easier.

If I paint a backer, I paint only what I want shown. 

If I have a backer with a different tone, I leave all as it is.

Be careful not to ruin by trying to stain or paint.

Thats what I currently do, so I think i'll stay with that....thanks for your input

When cutting a backer board, should I be cutting it the same size as my work piece, or just enough to cover the subject matter? and if your backer board is a different color than your cut piece, do you leave the outside edges different colors or do you do something to make them the same color?

As you can see there's more than one way to skin a cat !What looks good to you ultimately will look great to others.you are the artist ,no set rules ,this is your design! Please keep your welcome work coming in .We enjoy seeing it!Your a born natural scroller and don't know it.All your projects are clean cut ,precise and artistic! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:;)

What i do is lay out my piece and spray glue it down.

then i measure my borders and draw some lines for those.

i then tape a backer board onto it with some painters tape around the edges.

After this i can cut a frame and backer at the sme time.

once it comes to assembly, of course it will be an exact fit as the pieces were all cut initially at the same time.

take as much time cutting the backer and frame and use quality stock for this as it will really make or break the piece.  imagine a rembrandt in a dollar store frame.  

Edited by crupiea

As you can see there's more than one way to skin a cat !What looks good to you ultimately will look great to others.you are the artist ,no set rules ,this is your design! Please keep your welcome work coming in .We enjoy seeing it!Your a born natural scroller and don't know it.All your projects are clean cut ,precise and artistic! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:;)

WOW thanks for the kind words

For my framed projects, I use mat board because they are free (we own a frame shop).  Poster board will work, but it is thinner.  Check with a local custom frame shop.  They may have small pieces of mat board free.

Ok thank you, ive never heard of mat board but i assume its the colored materal in picture frams ...

What i do is lay out my piece and spray glue it down.

then i measure my borders and draw some lines for those.

i then tape a backer board onto it with some painters tape around the edges.

After this i can cut a frame and backer at the sme time.

once it comes to assembly, of course it will be an exact fit as the pieces were all cut initially at the same time.

take as much time cutting the backer and frame and use quality stock for this as it will really make or break the piece.  imagine a rembrandt in a dollar store frame.  

Thank you for the tip, i will try this next time