software needed

rljohn56

i'm fairly new to the scroll saw hobby, but i am already excited about portrait work.  what software is recommended in order to convert my pictures into a working pattern?  I know i need to make whatever my photo i have into a black & white in order to get started.  i have heard mention of Corel?  thanks, in advance. ray

Welcome to the Village Ray !.....I am not a pattern designer so i cannot answer your question except to say that Travis has some very good tutorials posted here on a couple of programs that folks use........I will say that we have some talented folks here that will be helpful ......Show us some of your work when you can......Welcome aboard !

Welcome to the village. I run Corel Draw, I also have inkscape. Inkcape and Gimp are free programs and people like gimp for doing portraits. I would opt for the free programs before spending a bunch of money on one. As you grow and learn you can decide if you wish to move to a commercial  program or not. Enjoy the village and jump in. Great place to be :)

Any of the better photo processing software will do this, even the Photoshop Elements package that was getting included free with many scanner and photo printers. Gimp, Corel Draw, Inkscape, etc. will all do it.

Since you are new at this, see if one of your friends has an old copy of Photoshop Elements that they will give you. It will get you started quickly. You can get better software as you learn more. I once did photo retouching and image composition using Photoshop, so if you end up with a copy of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, even an older version, send me PM and I'll get you started doing what you want. It's quite easy.

Charley

i'm fairly new to the scroll saw hobby, but i am already excited about portrait work.  what software is recommended in order to convert my pictures into a working pattern?  I know i need to make whatever my photo i have into a black & white in order to get started.  i have heard mention of Corel?  thanks, in advance. ray

I think " scroll saw goodies.com" has CD's on dog ,people and other portraits for sale.Scroll Saw Goodies