first time for everything

working on the last eagle the fuse on the DW 788 blew.the motor was barely warm as always so,i checked the fuse.Sure enough ,it was toast inside .I took a piece of the thin wire on the scroll reverse blades that was un wraped wound it around the one end and put the other end under the fuse it's self .Saw came on i'm happy .the wire has to be very low amp rating so im safe.I finished the job and cut two names for the  dentist office tomorrow.

No Kevin, you are not safe, the stunt that you just pulled could burn down everything in the area. Or worse, it could electrocute you. Things may be tight, but surely you can afford a fuse. Stop using the saw until you have a proper fuse, otherwise you could burn out the motor to say the least. Stunts like this pi$$ me off to no end. For me, this is something that should not get you any praise for you ingenuity, there's nothing smart about what you did. Electricity is nothing to fool around with, I thought you were a pretty smart cat, but, stunts like this makes me wonder. OK, I'll get off my high horse now, and I apologize for being so stern with my reply , it's just that I thought you would know better.

Len

No Kevin, you are not safe, the stunt that you just pulled could burn down everything in the area. Or worse, it could electrocute you. Things may be tight, but surely you can afford a fuse. Stop using the saw until you have a proper fuse, otherwise you could burn out the motor to say the least. Stunts like this pi$$ me off to no end. For me, this is something that should not get you any praise for you ingenuity, there's nothing smart about what you did. Electricity is nothing to fool around with, I thought you were a pretty smart cat, but, stunts like this makes me wonder. OK, I'll get off my high horse now, and I apologize for being so stern with my reply , it's just that I thought you would know better.

Len

I love electricity,respect it and have had the shizen knock out of me many times from it.As easy as the wire that holds are new blades together ,breaks is so thin and fragile that it would act as a fuse itself being not able to hold a couple of amps with out failing."If i would have thought of it i could have gone to the shelves of plenty of dw788 here in my shop and pulled out a fuse to use .that's what being in a hurry does to you .got to be at least 5 or more sitting there,lol,Ok ok i'll change the fuse ,Thanks for looking out for me Len!Cancel 911

40 years ago, I blew a fuse on my Moto Guzzi, way up in the nether regions of the state.  There was no hope of finding a replacement within 100 miles.  I did what any person would do, I wrapped the old fuse in a foil gum wrapper and had lights again. I drove the 75 miles home and made it to within a few miles when the wires to the fuse caught fire.   Ended up pushing the motorcycle the last three miles home.  Had a terrible mess to fix before I could ride again.  Kept at least two of each fuse in the bike as replacements until I sold it. They came in handy too.    

Lost my house and shop to a fire a year ago.  Fire Marshall, suspected wiring in the old farm house went bad, chewed on by mice etc.  I put 15 years into remodeling that old farm house.  replaced all the plumbing and pulled out live knob and tube wiring.  When the fire happened, an electrician had replaced all the wiring except the wiring on the back wall of the house.  that was the side i would be doing last.  That was where the fire started.        Aint taking any chances on electricity ever again.  

Hey Kevin I agree with Len on the danger of the fuse repair. Tinsel strength and ampicty are different critters. I am not saying that haven't done some really stupid :cry: temporary repairs in my times but at my age I ain't sure that I can out run the fire.  :scared:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Boy now out running a fire will make you think twice,it's the smoke i can't stand.

40 years ago, I blew a fuse on my Moto Guzzi, way up in the nether regions of the state.  There was no hope of finding a replacement within 100 miles.  I did what any person would do, I wrapped the old fuse in a foil gum wrapper and had lights again. I drove the 75 miles home and made it to within a few miles when the wires to the fuse caught fire.   Ended up pushing the motorcycle the last three miles home.  Had a terrible mess to fix before I could ride again.  Kept at least two of each fuse in the bike as replacements until I sold it. They came in handy too.    

Lost my house and shop to a fire a year ago.  Fire Marshall, suspected wiring in the old farm house went bad, chewed on by mice etc.  I put 15 years into remodeling that old farm house.  replaced all the plumbing and pulled out live knob and tube wiring.  When the fire happened, an electrician had replaced all the wiring except the wiring on the back wall of the house.  that was the side i would be doing last.  That was where the fire started.        Aint taking any chances on electricity ever again.  

Gum wrapper fuse i did that one to on a bike .any port in a storm!.

A friend of mine had a problem with DeWalt fuses blowing while cutting thicker wood.  He replaced the fuse with one rated at a few more amps and it worked well for him.

Right Jim an amp or two apart is going to blow almost as fast .The danger is using a paper clip or coat hanger as a fuse which is next to infinity rating for a fuse,lol :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

The motor in the 788 doesn't draw more than about 2.2 amps full load. Percentage wise, you likely increased the fuse rating by 300 % by adding that fine wire to it. Go get the right fuse or you may set fire to your $250 motor and $150 control board, if you haven't already. Buy a few extra of the right fuse so you have them the next time you need one. What about your other 788's? Can't you borrow a fuse from one of them?

Charley

Years ago, many a house burned down for a 'penny' in the fuse box.

Geeze, Kevin has stacks of DW788's, as long as he thinks he knows ...

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.He who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man - follow him.He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him. He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.

The motor in the 788 doesn't draw more than about 2.2 amps full load. Percentage wise, you likely increased the fuse rating by 300 % by adding that fine wire to it. Go get the right fuse or you may set fire to your $250 motor and $150 control board, if you haven't already. Buy a few extra of the right fuse so you have them the next time you need one. What about your other 788's? Can't you borrow a fuse from one of them?

Charley

I just changed out the whole saw  for another one ,easyer than changing a fuse,lol

Years ago, many a house burned down for a 'penny' in the fuse box.

Geeze, Kevin has stacks of DW788's, as long as he thinks he knows ...

He who knows, and knows not that he knows, is asleep - wake him.He who knows, and knows that he knows, is a wise man - follow him.He who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a fool ... shun him. He who knows not and knows that he knows not, is ignorant ... teach him.

Thanks LarryEA :roll: