Loaded up on supplies

Last week I drove to Fort Worth to my wood supplier and stocked up on plywood and hardwood. I am really excited on what I found. They had 1/4" mdf core red oak and maple. It has veneer on both sides. Of coarse one side is a  bit better than the other. It is a full 1/4" thick. The maple was $25 and the oak was $21 a sheet. I was so anxious to try it.... I stacked four pieces and cut Steve Goods pattern of a picture easel.  Really cut nice and clean, other than the dust I really like it. Had to be careful sanding because the veneer is really thin. I tried a test with a spiral blade and was amaze how little it tore out on the back side. 

post-28878-0-71638500-1462315868_thumb.jpg

Fantastic Dave and very nicely finished. One suggestion when sanding veneer try a card scraper. I use card scrapers for almost everything I can. Gets me closer to my work allowing me to acquire the finish I like, I'm not breathing in dangerous dust funds and saves $$ on sandpaper. I know the feeling when finding a certain wood. I recently purchased 7 board feet and 3/4" thick of Holly which was a hard find. Didn't like the price of $145.00 but it'll go a long way which will be used mostly for stringing. Again terrific work Dave.

Last week I drove to Fort Worth to my wood supplier and stocked up on plywood and hardwood. I am really excited on what I found. They had 1/4" mdf core red oak and maple. It has veneer on both sides. Of coarse one side is a  bit better than the other. It is a full 1/4" thick. The maple was $25 and the oak was $21 a sheet. I was so anxious to try it.... I stacked four pieces and cut Steve Goods pattern of a picture easel.  Really cut nice and clean, other than the dust I really like it. Had to be careful sanding because the veneer is really thin. I tried a test with a spiral blade and was amaze how little it tore out on the back side. 

don't you love it! I love mdf but when i found out about the dust that was the end of my mdf days.You did real good on these projects !