Gone thu another DW788

Kevin, 50% up front, 50% upon completion. Otherwise, they don't get the product. It sucks that you got under paid (ripped off), did you quote them a price up front? How can they justify, not paying you the amount owed/quoted? Did you say anything to them, about not paying you the proper/full amount?

Len

Edited by Lucky2

I had an order for  a wedding cake topper I quoted them a price no money down. i designed it and they said Ok . the next day they wanted to change the design OK so I got started and than they changed there mind again. z told them to forget the order and thru the finished part away I would not make the order at all. so they only had about a week to get a new cake topper. mSo now I get a deposit before I start.

Edited by ike

A new set screw and wing bolt should fix your saw, if you haven't stripped the threads out of the blade arm. Jus make sure you order the wing bolt with the insert in the end. DeWalt has several versions of these and you need to get the one intended for holding the blade. They are more expensive than the others. The one that you want is 

286303-00 Clamp Knob Assembly
Part Number: 286303-00
1009_white.png3275_white.png
Availability: 25+ in stock
Price: $12.03

The set screw for the other side of the blade is

286301-00 Set Screw
Part Number: 286301-00
Availability: 21 in stock
Price: $1.99

Both are in stock at www.ereplacementparts.com

Be sure to re-calibrate the position of the replacement set screw so your blade tracks truly vertical and is centered in the table hole. You may need to adjust the upper and lower set screws to get the blade tracking right.

If the aluminum arm has stripped out threads, the right size Heli Coil and the special tap will put new stainless threads in it that will be better and much longer lasting than the original threads. It isn't cheap (for the special tap) or easy to do, but I doubt that you will ever have trouble with the Heli Coil, once installed. Your biggest problem will be getting the tap so it threads the hole for the replacement stainless threads straight and parallel to the original hole.  Once you buy the special tap you will be able to replace threads of that size again in other places. The Heli Coil thread pieces are quite reasonably priced. Read the instructions carefully to get the thread pieces locked in place so they won't back out. I've had better luck with the Heli Coil brand than any other thread replacement inserts on the market. They can be very permanent and long lasting. All threads in aluminum or other soft metal should have them.

Many sources sell these. Check auto parts stores, industrial distributors like MSc McMaster, Grainger, etc. Even Lowes and Home Depot might have what you need.

Charley

Edited by CharleyL

After i finished the eagles the saw would not hold blades anymore to cut ,As soon as you start to cut it comes loose.So i  changed it out with another one from the wall of scroll saws.Bye the way i got shorted a hundred bucks for the eagles i made.

As much as you use a scroll saw you should get a Hegner.  MUCH more durable than a DeWalt is.

A new set screw and wing bolt should fix your saw, if you haven't stripped the threads out of the blade arm. Jus make sure you order the wing bolt with the insert in the end. DeWalt has several versions of these and you need to get the one intended for holding the blade. They are more expensive than the others. The one that you want is 

286303-00 Clamp Knob Assembly
Part Number: 286303-00
Availability: 25+ in stock
Price: $12.03

The set screw for the other side of the blade is

286301-00 Set Screw
Part Number: 286301-00
Availability: 21 in stock
Price: $1.99

Both are in stock at www.ereplacementparts.com

Be sure to re-calibrate the position of the replacement set screw so your blade tracks truly vertical and is centered in the table hole. You may need to adjust the upper and lower set screws to get the blade tracking right.

If the aluminum arm has stripped out threads, the right size Heli Coil and the special tap will put new stainless threads in it that will be better and much longer lasting than the original threads. It isn't cheap (for the special tap) or easy to do, but I doubt that you will ever have trouble with the Heli Coil, once installed. Your biggest problem will be getting the tap so it threads the hole for the replacement stainless threads straight and parallel to the original hole.  Once you buy the special tap you will be able to replace threads of that size again in other places. The Heli Coil thread pieces are quite reasonably priced. Read the instructions carefully to get the thread pieces locked in place so they won't back out. I've had better luck with the Heli Coil brand than any other thread replacement inserts on the market. They can be very permanent and long lasting. All threads in aluminum or other soft metal should have them.

Many sources sell these. Check auto parts stores, industrial distributors like MSc McMaster, Grainger, etc. Even Lowes and Home Depot might have what you need.

Charley

thanks Charley,

this is a question i've been toying around with .the bears just don't hold up on the dw788,Thanks Jim for the good advice!

I have often wondered why some folks like the DeWalt and others not so much (like me).  I was thinking the cutting of the thicker material I use is what damages a DeWalt but it just may be because when doing fretwork  (that I do not do) the saw is stopped and started every few seconds and when cutting toys it runs for an hour at a time without ever stopping .  Different demands on the saw.

I have often wondered why some folks like the DeWalt and others not so much (like me).  I was thinking the cutting of the thicker material I use is what damages a DeWalt but it just may be because when doing fretwork  (that I do not do) the saw is stopped and started every few seconds and when cutting toys it runs for an hour at a time without ever stopping .  Different demands on the saw.

Jim, I think you pretty much nailed it. I think it boils down to what one can afford (dollars and cents)and what work one does. No two of use work 100% the same way or do the same projects. It is the same with blades. There is no perfect size and style blade to that does the best job in all projects and with all woods.

Edited by NC Scroller

I really liked the Dewalt.I almost bought one until I watched a Youtube Video.When he took it apart and i saw all of the moving parts it kind of turned me away.I am new to Scroll sawing But have been a Carpenter for almost 40 years so I am no stranger to power tools. The reason I went with the Hegner there are only a few moving parts to replace I have delt with Advance Mach. in the past and they are very good people.I bought some spare parts that i thought I would need and they are still in the plastic rap. The one I bought off of Ebay was made in 2002 and it runs like it was new.Now the down side is if the Motor goes south it will cost the same as a new Dewalt saw.The blade system is not bad once you get used to it.But not as nice as the Dewalt or Excalibur The Hegner is really quiet and vibration free unless you put a UR blade in upside down. Yes I still do it once in a while and could feel it

Edited by tonylumps

I really liked the Dewalt.I almost bought one until I watched a Youtube Video.When he took it apart and i saw all of the moving parts it kind of turned me away.I am new to Scroll sawing But have been a Carpenter for almost 40 years so I am no stranger to power tools. The reason I went with the Hegner there are only a few moving parts to replace I have delt with Advance Mach. in the past and they are very good people.I bought some spare parts that i thought I would need and they are still in the plastic rap. The one I bought off of Ebay was made in 2002 and it runs like it was new.Now the down side is if the Motor goes south it will cost the same as a new Dewalt saw.The blade system is not bad once you get used to it.But not as nice as the Dewalt or Excalibur The Hegner is really quiet and vibration free unless you put a UR blade in upside down. Yes I still do it once in a while and could feel it

yes ,you can't ever get a basket full of good apples everytime.Maybe some day i'll get to try these other machines and decide .

I can always tell Kevins replies... He repeats what he is replying to.

Imagine a conversation where you have to repeat what someone says before yoy reply.

Lordy, it could be long and boring.

yes ,you can't ever get a basket full of good apples everytime.Maybe some day i'll get to try these other machines and decide .