spiral blades

ricklab

That is not an uncommon problem - and one I also had when first trying spiral blades.

When I asked the same question folks who had beaten the problem had a number of suggestions that included cleaning the residue off the ends of each blade with solvent, taking the "spiral" out of the ends with pliers, and also scuffing up the ends with sandpaper.  The suggestion that I adopted - and one I that I have stayed with is to start buying Flying Dutchman spiral blades with flat ends - no issues since with these blades.

Jay

I have only used spiral blades a couple of times. I seem to have difficulty in securing the blades up to the saw especially the bottom. Keeps slipping out. Is there a preferred method to putting in these spirals?

Rick

I'm having issues with straight blades at the moment but all info applys to both spiral and straight.I've de greased,sanded blade and holder and can't stop it completely.these are new machines  too.All i can think now is the other side of the blade holder top and bottom maybe need sanding ?I'll fold some sandpaper in half and put it in just like a blade ,tighten and then loosen enough to slide the paper up and down a few times .if that doesn't work i'm out of options.this is the first time in 12 years i can not stop the slippage.

Spirals can be pretty temperamental when it comes to keeping them in the clamps.  I'll second Ranger Jay's recommendations.  Flat end spirals are much easier to work with, in that respect.  Only problem is, they don't come in the smallest sizes.  I had to get some FD #2/0 and #3/0 spirals for a particularly challenging (for me, anyway) portrait project earlier this year.  I was able to successfully untwist and flatten the ends.  I had some Olson spirals a few years ago that I couldn't untwist/flatten to save my life.  Don't know if they were just made from harder, more brittle material or what, but I broke more than I used.

With any type blade you can have this problem. after doing all the cleaning it helps I use Anti-Seize. I but it at a hardware store.I first started sueing it in the machine shop to keep the cutting inserts in. It works on a scroll-saw also. A tube cost about $5.00, and will last a life time.